+ Reply to Thread

Thread: balanced XLR outputs , Why ?

I'm Andrew.

Default balanced XLR outputs , Why ?

Sorry!!! They are balanced inputs not outputs.

Hi guys . A question I've been meaning to ask for a while now ( may have already asked ) is what would these balanced XLR outputs be used for on my Teac distinction Ai-3000 .IMG_4364.jpg
    Last edited by andyrlb; 25-04-2017 at 19:30. Reason: I screwed up

I'm Simon.

It looks like balanced inputs from a CD player etc. So if the CD player has balanced circuits and your amp does - it pretty much must otherwise why would they put the sockets on, you'd use a balanced xlr connection between the two. Rather than rca.

You do find in lots of brands, they tend to use xlr accross ranges. So it's likely teac will have some sort of source, maybe a CD player, with balanced xlr outputs.

I'm Terry.

Xlr consists of 2 3 pin cables.
    Using xlr cancel out ant interference that can be picked up,
    Where as phonos can pickup noise ect.

I have a cxn with cxa , they use xlr fully balanced.
    For the full benefit, the source unit and amp should be internally balanced, ,
    Some units just add the outputs without being full internally balanced from chip to chip.

You should check first.

I'm Andrew.

Understood now , their line of matching CD player has the balanced xlr outputs . Though I've never seen a source component with xlr outputs before .
    Thanks guys

I'm Simon.

The Cambridge audio cxn has dual mono dacs which means that there is a dac per channel, and I think the Cambridge audio amps like the cxa amps have dual mono circuits for amplification ie one per channel two (a bit like the leema tucana amp), but my cyrus pre is fully balanced dual mono design and I think these balanced circuits and xlr connections often get used on these dual mono type designs. Not exclusively but there does seem a pattern.

But balanced is meant to remove interfearance from interconnects by a process of cancellation. Won't go into the long and short of it but googling it explains how it works. Sorry if you already know.

I'm Andrew.

A ha , seems like a Teac marketing strategy to aid you buying the matching cd and tuner perhaps.
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread