+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELIUS DESIGNS: Magic Pebbles, an explanation of tonearm bias and …

I'm Howard.

Default HELIUS DESIGNS: Magic Pebbles, an explanation of tonearm bias and …

Geoffrey Owen (founder, owner and senior engineer at Helius Designs Ltd) writes:

In my first article, I wrote about those wizened beings who occasionally materialise from the ether, intent on stretching the boundaries of plausibility with their over-active imaginations. These people would have us believe that a generous sprinkling of their particular flavour of fairy dust on your hi-fi will transport it to the realms of godliness.

After publication, I was contacted by one of Helius’ distributors who suggested he’d been persuaded by one such Svengali and purchased a packet of ‘Magic Pebbles’ ....guaranteed ( for a remarkably modest price that entered three figures ) to transform your hi-fi into a dynamic, larger-than-life super system that would thrash anything selling for 3 times the price.

All that was required was to place these colourful crystals in strategic locations around your power-amp.

At this juncture, I know what you’re thinking – here comes the ridicule...alas not.

Apparently, and much to the consternation of the distributor in question, these Magic Pebbles did appear to have some positive effect. ( Don’t you just hate it when that happens?)

Continues at http://www.hifianswers.com/2017/04/h...earm-bias-and/
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

This neatly brings me to as aspect of audio engineering that deserves mentioning. The cost of a
    product is not always a reflection of the value of the individual components, but rather the
    embodiment of the experience, knowledge and design philosophy of the engineer behind a given
    design.

There's your problem with the industry right there. People who think like that.

'These magic stones only have a production cost of $5 but I sell them for $500 because I discovered them and the as yet unknown science that makes them work so that is why I am justified in charging the extra.'

Just say no.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This neatly brings me to as aspect of audio engineering that deserves mentioning. The cost of a
    product is not always a reflection of the value of the individual components, but rather the
    embodiment of the experience, knowledge and design philosophy of the engineer behind a given
    design.

There's your problem with the industry right there. People who think like that.

'These magic stones only have a production cost of $5 but I sell them for $500 because I discovered them and the as yet unknown science that makes them work so that is why I am justified in charging the extra.'

Just say no.
    I'll certainly let him know. Thanks - Neil
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread