+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeezebox problem - dead?

I'm Dave.

Default Squeezebox problem - dead?

I read about the BBC R3 Flac trial, and have just been trying to get this to work with my Squeezebox, which is apparently possible.
    See http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...046#post617046

I have two SBs - the original is a Classic, and a Touch. I set up the server and the plugins on a machine which didn't have those before (Apple iMac running El C), and then turned my attention to the Squeezebox hardware - which hasn't been used for a while.

Horrors!!! It doesn't seem to power up. I don't know why - but I do wonder if the PSU has failed. I had a look for another, and the one for the Touch would seem to be compatible - though it's 3A model rather than 2A - both are 5V. It's quite unlikely that a manufacturer would change the polarity, but nothing would surprise me completely, so will it be OK to plug it in to the Classic?

Although the unit may already be dead, I don't want to make sure of its death by attaching a PSU which will put the final touches.

As I recall, when powered up it flashes some logos for a minute or so, then waits for input from the remote, but may eventually play dead unless buttons on the remote are pressed.

If this fails, I shall fish out the Touch, and see if I can get that to work, but I'll be sad if my SB3 has gone to glory.
    Dave

Be careful that you don't accidentally plug a 12V power supply into the SBT! I have had a look at that issue for a few people, but none of their SBT could be revived. The last one I was sent to look at happened to be the one from DaveK as it happens. He passed away about 12 days after posting it to me unfortunately, and I just can't find it in my heart to put the dead unit in the bin.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Be careful that you don't accidentally plug a 12V power supply into the SBT! I have had a look at that issue for a few people, but none of their SBT could be revived. The last one I was sent to look at happened to be the one from DaveK as it happens. He passed away about 12 days after posting it to me unfortunately, and I just can't find it in my heart to put the dead unit in the bin.
    Thanks for that. I am aware of the problem - as I have other Logitech devices which are 12V.

I now always peer very carefully at the PSUs to find out what outputs they have, and also the devices. One device I was going to test out even had a 15V AC input IIRC - which somewhat threw me - I thought that was very odd. Most are DC. I am wary about using PSUs which are not well matched to the equipment. Sometimes they work, but the smell of overheating transformer coils or other parts gradually builds up - not recommended for anything other than a short test.

Is there anything which can be done with SBTs which don't respond, other than bin them - assuming they've not been fried by the PSU?
    Dave

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I'd echo what Stan says about checking the power supplies - the Squeezebox units don't respond well to 12vdc being stuck up 'em, as it tends to bring the majick smoke.
    You need 5vdc with centre pin positive.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Dave.

SB3 lives!

Just tried with the Touch PSU and the flash screen came up, so that's OK. Should work now I think, though might need reconfiguring.

Is it "normal" for PSUs to fail - the original's obviously been plugged in for quite a while, and I didn't realise it was failing.

Not sure if I should continue with the Touch PSU - it says it should only with the Touch, though my guess is it should be OK. Where can I get another PSU for the original?
    Dave

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Does the Touch work with the same PSU as you've used on the SB3/Classic?
    The Touch is a better player by far.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread