+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Different length tonearm why ?

I'm Peter.

Are you bringing your turntable to NEBO, Ken?

Edit (later) ... I see from the NEBO thread, that you are ... excellent!
    Last edited by petrat; 24-04-2017 at 13:48.

I'm Ken.

Peter - Yes, as you spotted.

My Denon DL-301 mkII crapped out, when the cantilever just fell out.
    So I am using a pre owned Ortofon MC20 Supreme at present, nice cartridge.

To be played through a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS/Pre Box RS, my semi active crossovers/Nakamichi Power Amp and three way speakers.
    The later is all a work in progress, but sounding pretty damn good for a lash up.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Yes.

12 inch arms in general are also well-suited for low compliance cartridges which work better with a high mass arm. (Though to complicate things, not all 12in arms are higher mass than a heavyweight 9 incher like a Fidelity Research FR64S or my own Ikeda IT-345 CR1).

The OP's question is actually an opener to the whole topic of arm geometry, overhang, mass, cartridge compliance, resonance and so on.
    my Stax 12" is obviously not high mass as the Shure ultra 500 sounds great. I also have a Stax 9" arm but haven't got around to using it yet.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    my Stax 12" is obviously not high mass as the Shure ultra 500 sounds great. I also have a Stax 9" arm but haven't got around to using it yet.
    The stax arms are most definitely a case in point being from the high compliance, low arm mass era.

I'm Ralph.

Imo most turntables come with a nine inch arm to keep the footprint down to a reasonable size.
    Ralph.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Use a parallel tracker instead. :-)
    Whilst conceptually an elegant solution the actual mechanics involved in realising this solution are riddled with issues that introduce compromises that are very difficult to overcome and end up being very complex.
    Account Deleted

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Whilst conceptually an elegant solution the actual mechanics involved in realising this solution are riddled with issues that introduce compromises that are very difficult to overcome and end up being very complex.
    Would you please expand? As lately I have been considering this option...

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    Would you please expand? As lately I have been considering this option...
    Be interested in the thinking myself.
    Records are cut using a linear tracker, using a pivoting arm, actually introduces more complications and issues to overcome.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Be interested in the thinking myself.
    Records are cut using a linear tracker, using a pivoting arm, actually introduces more complications and issues to overcome.
    Parallel trackers are fine in theory, but invariably involve more complications and issues than a pivoted arm. I am yet to hear a parallel tracker that was actually a good tonearm, so for me it's a question of balancing the various technical compromises and those are far easier to reconcile with a pivoted arm.

Here's an interesting take on the issue - a pivoted tonearm that tracks like a parallel tracker, without any articulating linkages in the armtube or headshell:

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Parallel trackers are fine in theory, but invariably involve more complications and issues than a pivoted arm. I am yet to hear a parallel tracker that was actually a good tonearm, so for me it's a question of balancing the various technical compromises and those are far easier to reconcile with a pivoted arm.
    I hear this often, but no one will define what the complications or issues are.
    A parallel tracker has far fewer issues to overcome in my opinion.
    The whole null point compromise, bearing friction and anti skate requirement of a pivoting arm, don't exist on an air bearing linear tracker.

Low end pivoting arms are cheap to produce and that's about it. By the time you get to a decent quality pivoting arm, there is little difference in cost between the types.

The engineering principles of my linear tracker are far simpler than your average pivoting arm.

http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast