+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Different length tonearm why ?

I'm Paul.

Default Different length tonearm why ?

HI all

Please excuse the silly question but I always wondered what the thinking is behind longer than normal tonearm

Most are 9 inches but a few I have seen are 10 and 12 inches, what is the reason or thinking behind these longer arms.

Thanks for any input in clearing up my confusion on this subject.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The 9" length is largely historic. Clearly tonearms must be longer than the nominal radius of the 12" LP, so a length of 1.5 times that distance was somewhat arbitarily chosen.

There were at the same time 16" diameter LPs, so to play them a 12" long arm was used. (For example, the EMT927 turntable has a large enough platter to play 16" records, and is equipped with a 12" arm (305mm).)

Obviously longer arms can be used with turntables having a smaller diameter platter, but there are trade-offs: longer arms will display lower tracking distortion, but have higher effective mass, whereas shorter arms will have higher tracking distortion but lower mass.

Not all arms are 9" long, several 10" and 10.5" arms are available, and some believe this length is close to optimum and thus preferred.
    Last edited by Barry; 24-04-2017 at 10:46.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Good post Barry

I'm Grant.

9 inches is enough for anyone
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ken.

The best path across a record is a straight line, with zero deviation for the stylus contact angle.

A longer tone arm has a bigger tracking radius than a short one and therefore less deviation from the ideal path.

Unfortunately going too long also has other purely physical obstacles when trying to achieve a good design, otherwise 3 foot arms would be in use.

Simplistic explanation I know, but it was a simple question and deserves a simple answer.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Use a parallel tracker instead. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Use a parallel tracker instead. :-)
    Now there's a thought!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    The best path across a record is a straight line, with zero deviation for the stylus contact angle.

A longer tone arm has a bigger tracking radius than a short one and therefore less deviation from the ideal path.

Unfortunately going too long also has other purely physical obstacles when trying to achieve a good design, otherwise 3 foot arms would be in use.

Simplistic explanation I know, but it was a simple question and deserves a simple answer.
    This 'less deviation from the ideal path' means that a longer arm would be less susceptible to distortion on the inner grooves of a record yes?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    This 'less deviation from the ideal path' means that a longer arm would be less susceptible to distortion on the inner grooves of a record yes?
    Yes.

12 inch arms in general are also well-suited for low compliance cartridges which work better with a high mass arm. (Though to complicate things, not all 12in arms are higher mass than a heavyweight 9 incher like a Fidelity Research FR64S or my own Ikeda IT-345 CR1).

The OP's question is actually an opener to the whole topic of arm geometry, overhang, mass, cartridge compliance, resonance and so on.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 24-04-2017 at 11:43.

I'm Ken.

Yes, less distortion at the start and end and in the middle.

The only two positions on the tracking arc where the stylus is exactly parallel (tangential) with the grooves is at the two null points, everywhere else there is a small discrepancy.

If you consider it as the overhang, before the first(outer) null point the overhang is shorter than ideal.
    Between the outer and inner null points it is longer than ideal and after the inner null point it is again shorter.

The amount it is out is directly proportional to the length of the arm, longer is less adrift.

The points about mass etc raised earlier, are valid, so its not all plain sailing by just using a longer arm, so as with most things, you have to decide where you want to compromise.

I used to have problems with inner groove distortion, that just wouldn't go away, no matter which alignment scheme I used, which is why I now use a linear tracker.
    Last edited by Qwin; 24-04-2017 at 10:45.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast