+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Well these are rather good!

I'm Marc.

Default Well these are rather good!

Took a punt on a really well priced pair of Tannoy 609s this week, been wanting to hear a pair of DC speakers for a while but there's no way the budget (or the space in the house) would stretch to a 'proper' pair so all around winner.

I'm sure the price I paid for them is having some sort of reverse expectation bias thing going on but they really are a very enjoyable listen!

Yeah, the low end doesn't go down that far and they are a bit sterile/scooped in the low-mids (in my room, if could get them a bit closer to the walls it'd probably fill out a bit) but geez they don't half do the holographic thing well. Vocals and the top end spacing of stuff is amazing, they throw a super wide stereo field but with really nice placement and a strong centre, at one point, listenting to some Dave Brubeck the other night I actually had to get out of my seat and check what was going on because I didn't believe that the sound could be coming from so far to the left of where the speaker actually was!

Definitely recommended if you can get them for a decent price.

I'm Dan.

Hi Marc

Yes the DMT Tannoys do the 3D imaging really well - i have the DC 1000's and by far the better on the 90 series these do just as much as the big boys...

If you ever want to move them on - consider me - always wanted to add these to the collection along with the 615 MK2's now then you should here these pair on ebay at £695 value for money too...
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Marc.

Yeah, the 615, with the extra driver and the passive radiator, looks like it would answer a lot of the questions I'm asking of the 605s

For now I'm enjoying fishing out some tracks that play to their strengths, Johnny Flynn's Sillion album is doing the job pretty well right now ;-)

I'm Rob.

Ah. Another Johnny Flynn fan.
    Rob.