+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with RCA vs Balanced in my setup

I'm Jez.

EH? Am I to take it here that people are thinking there's a difference between XLR and phono sockets? The entire point is balanced OR unbalanced. The type of socket has feck all to do with it! You could use two phono sockets per channel to send a balanced signal!! You could even use a 5 pin DIN plug to send both channels of balanced audio....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    EH? Am I to take it here that people are thinking there's a difference between XLR and phono sockets? The entire point is balanced OR unbalanced[/U]. The type of socket has feck all to do with it! You could use two phono sockets per channel to send a balanced signal!! You could even use a 5 pin DIN plug to send both channels of balanced audio....
    Indeed Chord Electronics had a phono stage that had balanced in implemented that very way.
    Regards Neil

I'm Bruce.

So just to spin possibilities with no knowledge of whether they could make any difference...

• Could it be that the 6.8Vrms output to the amp's input (900mV sensitivity) is handled better than a 2.2Vrms output to the amp?
    • Could it be that the Balanced DAC output has a different impedance than the single-ended output?

BTW: Don't get too hung up on the terms. I was just using RCA as a shorthand for single-ended. That's not the point!
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    So just to spin possibilities with no knowledge of whether they could make any difference...

• Could it be that the 6.8Vrms output to the amp's input (900mV sensitivity) is handled better than a 2.2Vrms output to the amp?
    • Could it be that the Balanced DAC output has a different impedance than the single-ended output?

BTW: Don't get too hung up on the terms. I was just using RCA as a shorthand for single-ended. That's not the point!
    Output impedance has nothing to do with balanced or unbalanced. It could be different yes but as both are likely less than 1K it's irrelevant...

Again the output level is irrelevant. It will have to go through attenuation whether it's 2V or 7V.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

I wonder if there is a market for a "make your system balanced" gizmo!? A pair of boxes, one sits on top of the pre and one on top of the power amp and makes an unbalanced signal balanced to send it balanced to the power amp where the other box converts it back to unbalanced... It is how many pieces of balanced kit work anyway! Cynical? Moi?

I'm Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    DAC's tend by their nature to have true balanced outputs anyway (even if no balanced output is provided in your DAC the DAC IC usually works in balanced form)....
    So is it possible that Calyx implemented their DAC's single-ended circuit less optimally than the balanced out?

BTW: they've laid things out in such a way that one has to take the DAC completely apart in order to see the circuits. Opening the case just shows the underside of the PCB.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    So is it possible that Calyx implemented their DAC's single-ended circuit less optimally than the balanced out?

BTW: they've laid things out in such a way that one has to take the DAC completely apart in order to see the circuits. Opening the case just shows the underside of the PCB.
    Most DAC IC's are intrinsically balanced output whether or not balanced outputs to the outside world are provided on any given model of a complete DAC.

I don't really know what you're driving at with that question though I'm afraid...

I'm Bruce.

Maybe you forgot the purpose of the OP, concisely restated in #8 & #20.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brucew268; 24-04-2017 at 09:36. Reason: Predictive text had 'absolutely' instead of 'concisely'!
    Bruce

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Problem here is not all kit with XLR outs and ins is actually balanced. Balanced kit is dual differential. Using XLR outs may not sound better than RCA, but much depends on the circuit topology and the way the XLR outs and ins have been implemented.
    In my case, the Levinson gear uses dual differential circuitry throughout. The Quad 510s use an input transformer as well as an output transformer (similar to the Quad 50E), but between the two the circuitry is not dual differential.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In my case, the Levinson gear uses dual differential circuitry throughout. The Quad 510s use an input transformer as well as an output transformer (similar to the Quad 50E), but between the two the circuitry is not dual differential.
    As I would expect of ML gear. My BAT kit is dual differential as well. It sounds best hooked up via XLRs. However not all kit with XLR outs and ins sounds best this way, often if its not dual differential then the RCA outs and ins sound better.

Calyx DAC I listened to one back in 2012 and I preferred the XLR outputs to the RCA ones. It was more open and detailed, had a wider deeper soundstage, with more weight and scale. The bass and mid was also better via the XLR outputs than RCA(http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com...gue-converter/) I was using a Chapter Audio pre-power and that was as far as I can recall dual differential.

As an aside an EAR pre I had had XLR ins and outs and the RCA sounded better. This was not a proper balanced design but single ended with XLRs in and out.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast