+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging in to this site

I'm Dave.

Default Logging in to this site

Recently the latest versions of Firefox have been warning me of possible risks of logging in to this site. Is this specific to Firefox, or is that the only browser that actually detects a potential problem. The issue seems to relate to sending passwords over an insecure channel.

Is this something we have been living with for a while, or do I need to do something else in order to log in?
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

I've never had that. Looks like it is Firefox related.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

it might be the way its looking for an https instead of the more usual http. i use firefox mostly and have not had it ever.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I also get this warning with Firefox so I just make sure that my AOS password is not used for any other sites, therefore very little risk if it is stolen.
    We are the love we leave behind.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've never had that. Looks like it is Firefox related.
    Here is the info file from Firefox - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct

Is it just that Firefox is taking more care of us all, and we're not actually any safer with other browsers, or is there some other technical reason and this is really Firefox specific?
    Dave

I'm Grant.

yeah thought it might be the https bit. We had this before. Beachwoods will maybe comment next time he is on.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

I guess many people can live with this, but people who will be particularly vulnerable will be those who use the same password for all sites, including sites particularly important to them, such as their bank account and credit card sites, and maybe other confidential sites.

Indeed it might be worth having some sites with slightly laxer security, so that we can tell that our browers are warning us correctly, otherwise if all the sites upgrade to HTTPS for password entry, then we won't know that the browsers are checking or not.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

if you have a robust password then you will have no problems i think
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

It's a definite risk to your bank balance 😁

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if you have a robust password then you will have no problems i think
    This is why Firefox is warning because password strength is irrelevant if not sent through an encrypted (HTTPS) page.

I use different passwords on forums for this reason and use huge passphrases for my sensitive logins. Consider that a password such as "ilikehifiandcheese" is far more secure than "R3!ww3?n" despite lack of special characters, uppercase and numbers due to the length.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast