+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich Hi-Fi Show 2017

I'm Justin.

That said a 2nd hand pair of Trios at say £17K with no bass horns would rank very well in the general scheme of things at Munich.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Pathos.

Not sounding great TBH. Quite dry and sibilant. Recording? Speakers? Or just not very good all round?

surprised they weren't using their Endorphin CD player, rather than the so, so Digit. I regret not getting a TT Reference amp from them. I still have a Classic 1 mk2 very nice, especially when they are used as mono integrated amps. I didn't much care for the Mk3 version, a step back and the Logos..... overall not great.
    Regards Neil

I'm Justin.

Odean / NAF.

Not NAF at all. Unfortunately the speakers are around £125K. Some lovely sounds coming from this pairing. A little coloured with some "injected tone" maybe but, for someone who doesn't like classical, this room made me stop and think a bit.

Unsure why this speaker managed to sound so blended with dynamic and horn drivers, and I wonder if you'd catch it out with other programme material.

The video is hopeless I am afraid, with a mass of camera noise on it. It just isn't fair on the manufacturer to post it.

It was seriously dark in there, so what you see is by magic of flash.

montesquieu Guest

FWIW I am not adverse to the Thoress look.

Here's some Tektron amps. I like these too. I had one in the house a while back doing Greg from G-Point a favour I seem to remember. No chance of driving anything here though.

Yes I had a Tektron phono stage off Greg as well as a Y10 DHT preamp. The preamp was excellent (although very high gain) and if I'd had the dosh as the time I might well have bought it - a little microphonic as DHT pre's tend to be but it was incredibly dynamic and the tone quality was stunning. Later tried the phono pre, it wasn't bad at all but didn't quite knock my Nick Gorham phono pre off the perch (which is fair enough as Nick's pre was close to twice the price).

I'm gone.

On the topic of not looking good... sorry Jerry!

Der Ververshiter... probably very good. But who cares?

No problem, I'm not a fan of the MBL Look myself.

But fugly though it is, it would be OK whereas the Thoress gear wouldn't be allowed through the door!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    No problem, I'm not a fan of the MBL Look myself.

But fugly though it is, it would be OK whereas the Thoress gear wouldn't be allowed through the door!

Seriously? Exact opposite for me. The only possible use for this is in a bordello, or possibly in a Bond villan's lair. The Thoress would give you instant cred with any visiting PhD in sciences (of which we get a surprising number through the door ...).

I'm Justin.

It'd need to be a top bordello, 20,800 Euros is a bit much for a preamp even at pretty high quality premises.

Anyway this has got to be a pretty pricey room. I can't really decide whether I liked it or not. Kharma stuff generally doesn't go down well with me.

There are some navigation logistics to be performed when shooting these videos. A lot of walking backwards and moving the camera around to avoid people and gear. Sooner or later I'll trash something expensive

Plus there's the "I wish the git with the camera would get out of the way" factor everyone must be thinking, but never seem to verbalise.

I'm Justin.

Stein.

Visually stunning room. Masses of bass cones and horns. Video ruined by camera fault, which is a real shame.

Nice open mid range but apparently with lagging bass. Which is also a real shame. In other words, the usual horn integration issues.

Last edited by User211; 27-05-2017 at 20:36.

I'm Justin.

Albedo.

Italian loudspeakers, clad in leather.

"Albedo is the fraction of solar energy (shortwave radiation) reflected from the Earth back into space. It is a measure of the reflectivity of the earth's surface. Ice, especially with snow on top of it, has a high albedo: most sunlight hitting the surface bounces back towards space."

Turning in a pretty good Money For Nothing, which you'll need to have had to buy the system. Driven by a huge VTL, obviously.

But then if your system doesn't do a pretty good Money For Nothing, which generally sounds fab on a lot of kit, you have problems.

Video to follow.

I'm Adrian.

Are big multi driver speakers like Porsches - for guys with little dicks?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects