+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich Hi-Fi Show 2017

I'm Justin.

Dunno about the cones but if I had designed those speakers (I wouldn't I think it is flawed from the start) I'd be bloody upset I existed.

I'm Martin.

Lol you been at the Lowenbrau?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Nein. Watching some John Cusack movie. Lotta people getting killed.

montesquieu Guest

Hi Justin, I was Munich but I totally forgot you were there. (Petrat was in attendance as well).

Totally agree with you on some of the best sounds in show those Tune Audios were absolutely stunning, as was the Avantgarde Rig (pity about the relentless Pink Floyd though you'd think they could have been a bit more original). The Silbatone rig was similar, 8w driving a 1930s cinema setup, though with a more creative choice of music. Not real world though, as with the Avantgardes, it was more of a PA setup than a hifi (anything designed to entertain literally hundreds of people isn't really hifi in my view which at times should be as much about a couch and a large whisky as much as it is about music).

My favourites were a bit more prosaic ... the Thoress room was interesting, Reinhart Thoress's phono pre is stunning something I'd love to put up against the EAR 912. He also had a pretty cool set of cartridges made in Munich by a Singaporean guy, these sounded great but a bit pricey for something that isn't really a brand yet, and his own speakers.

The Hecos - the little single driver ones - provided the biggest surprise of the show, absolutely lovely. I'd love to hear the big ones too. And the Silberstatics could almost tempt me away from Tannoys if I had 25k Euros sitting spare - room-filling panels, better than any Quads I've ever heard. Driven by 140w single ended monsters, not at all what you'd expect to pair giant panels with.

All in all though I found much of this utterly giant show a bit samey - maybe 70-80% of the rooms were running heavy, expensively-veneered multi-driver, not terribly efficient floorstanders, with whapping great solid state monoblocks and zzzzz streaming front ends, in many cases it was clear the digital element was the weakest link. The best rooms in my view were all playing vinyl and most had valves as well. (EAR's reel to reel rig was pretty cool though).

A special mention in this regard went to the Wiener Lautsprecher company that had a very enjoyable hour-long lecture and demonstration of a reproduction 1819 Fortepiano from the lovely Viviana Sofronitsky - playing Schubert, Haydn and Mendelssohn - though unfortunately they then rather embarrassed themselves by playing recordings of same through their speakers. We concluded that the front end solid state electronics (streamer or the preamp) were the problem rather than the speakers, which seemd actually to be pretty good, but all in all it was a wonderful demonstration of the inadequacies of hifi compared to the real thing!

And the prices ... well they can only make some of us cheapskates feel a bit smug ....

Pics from me (sorry not up to your standards Justin)

Silbatone:

Thoress:

Silberstatic:

Hecos - the little one was an absolute star:

Last edited by montesquieu; 24-05-2017 at 12:53.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I just love the look of the Thoeress equipment - very late '50s, early 60's. What is that tangential-tracking tone arm Thoeress are using?

And yes, as a die-hard electrostatic lover, I would love to hear those Silberstatics.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Thought one was an espresso machine lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What is that tangential-tracking tone arm Thoeress are using?
    Dereneville http://www.avdesignhaus.de/AnalogLau...ode_15728.html

TBH the Dynavector sounded just as good to my ears.

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Tune Audio / Trafomatic as per earlier in thread, this time with a video. Refer to earlier for SQ comments.

The video makes the pics redundant, really, so watch it plugged into yer hi-fi system. You'll pick more up about SQ than I can say. But obviously nowt like being there.

Seriously, and I mean quite seriously like that TT lookswise.

what driver in midrange horn, anyone?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Geoff.

If you mean the smaller horn in the mouth of the large one Shaun, at a guess, I'd say that's a tweeter, probably with their own horn flare mounted to a compression driver of some sort. I'd expect the big horn to cover a very wide band including midrange.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    what driver in midrange horn, anyone?
    The mid range horn is the gold bit. Dunno what driver. The gold bit is connected to a black tower. That has an 18 inch woofer in it according to Jack from BD Audio.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast