+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich Hi-Fi Show 2017

I'm Peter.

Well, I suppose it is the High End show, and the industry seems to think High End equates with expensive ... and high price stuff (luxury goods) are seen by Marketers as 'fashion/lifestyle statements'. Not exactly the philosophy of this forum

Overall, I found the show to be way better than anything I've ever attended in the UK (Harrogate, Chesterfield, Heathrow, Whittlebury, Scalford mostly), and well worth visiting. The bigger systems in the larger rooms gave a sense of scale not normally heard, but on the other hand, they were starting to approach PA proportions ... hardly practical in most homes. Justin is right though ... I was wandering close to the main doors in one of the big halls, when I heard something startlingly real, way better than normal. I followed my ears through the door, and there was the saxophone quartet playing in the foyer
    Last edited by petrat; 29-05-2017 at 08:38. Reason: grammar!

I'm Justin.

Much as I don't want to upset Wammer pride, it also betters Scalford by a substantial margin, as indicated by Peter above.

And Jerry is making a huge mistake by not going. The first time you go to the show it is a real education.

It was cheap this year generally I noticed Expedia seemed to be charging a lot less for Munich hols. I wonder why?

Tom's point driven home. Triangle Art bling in the Eggleston Works room.

I'm Justin.

Expensive looking Magnum Dynalab.

I'm Justin.

Is there a phono stage in existence with more flexibility than the EMT?

Has anyone ever had one at home to evaluate?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Is there a phono stage in existence with more flexibility than the EMT?

Has anyone ever had one at home to evaluate?

I have thought about it: I have 4 TTs and like to dabble with cartridges. So the EMT looks interesting and appears to be sufficiently versatile regarding adjustable gain and loading. I also like the 'laboratory'/utilitarian cosmetics, though I prefer the grey 'hammer finish' version and would really like a black fascia if I could have it. I don't think it has fully balanced outputs (or inputs for that matter); something which I regard as being an important and desirable facility.

But at > £15K, I'm not sure .............
    Barry

I'm gone.

And Jerry is making a huge mistake by not going. The first time you go to the show it is a real education.
    Meh.
    An education in what?

I have less than zero interest in most of the stuff that I see in the photos. -- a lot of it positively repels me.
    5 £figure electronics. Stupid looking turntable bling-towers. Nauseating retro-chic designs.
    Loudspeakers that I couldn't afford to buy let alone house sensibly, most of which I would hate anyway.
    Preset music playlists full of jazz crappola that would have me heaving.

None of the UK shows interest me anymore. Bigger / more up-market shows is not the way to go as far as I am concerned.
    I've owned and heard enough gear to have sorted my own personal path.
    What is the point?

I'd (much) rather stay at home with my own choice of gear and listen to my own choice of music.

Meh.
    Just call me an old grouch.

I'm Justin.

Old grouch. You keep posting on the thread though. You are curious. And if you lost all that synthetic built up venom you'd really enjoy it!

I'm gone.

Old grouch. You keep posting on the thread though. You are curious. And if you lost all that synthetic built up venom you'd really enjoy it!

Well, I dunno about synthetic - a lot of the gear there really does irritate the hell out of me!
    Veblen goods whose high price is its own justification.

I'm Justin.

I never resent the rich. You can have friends, and you can have and money, but you can't have both.

That's probably BS but hey it sounds good.

Who cares if you can't afford it? Is that really relevant?

I'm gone.

Whoosh.
    I didn't mean that.
    Getting too deep for me, I'll leave you to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast