+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypex DLCP (DSP) with 6 Channel UcD Amp Project.

I'm Ken.

Default Hypex DLCP (DSP) with 6 Channel UcD Amp Project.

I've been working with the analogue crossover boards made by KMTech for some time now, trying to keep everything pure analogue for the sake of my vinyl set up. I've done many modifications for various speaker applications, but got a little fed up of the work and expense every time I change a parameter like the crossover point. I've also been keeping an eye on what's happening in the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) market and think its about time I started looking at a digital crossover solution. What tipped the scales, in favour of digital, was when I heard Ali's vinyl set up using a miniDSP active crossover at the first MiBO meeting.
    I was initially impressed with the out of the box solution from miniDSP, their 4x10HD has a stereo pair of balanced analogue inputs, would handle all my digital input needs and has balanced outputs, which matches my requirements. It comes ready built and tested in a nice 1U height case and would plug straight into my 6 channel power amp. What started doubts in my mind, were a few folks stating the analogue side on the 4x10HD was not as good as its digital and had a higher noise floor. I put the idea on the back burner and continued to read up on the subject and scope what else was available.

I've always liked the gear that Hypex makes and have drawn up a couple of 6 channel amps using their UcD modules in the past, but never got round to building one. I found some good user reviews concerning the analogue side of the Hypex DLCP (DSP) system. It's basically a 6 channel digital Pre Amp/digital crossover, has more analogue inputs than the 4x10HD and all balanced connections. Siegfried Linkwitz tested a DLCP paired with UcD amps on his LXmini speakers. He was astounded how much more low end definition there was and by the overall level of refinement, compared to his 4x10HD and AT1806 amplifier.
    The cost of the Hypex DLCP set up, which is only available as a DIY kit of parts needing a case, is the same as the ready built 4x10HD from miniDSP. I was now giving this serious thought and could see the possibility of building a DLCP and my 6 channel UcD180 amp design into a single 2U 19” case of around 300mm depth.

This is what I have in mind, as you can see there are plenty of inputs on the Hypex board, the "set up" USB socket, unlike those on miniDSP, can also work as a USB audio input. It uses all ballanced connections internally as well, to simplify connection with the UcD Amp modules.

I've tried to keep AC/DC/Signal apart, ignore the wires crossing each other, most are on different Z planes, so not touching. Because all the modules were designed by one maker and are meant to work together, there is a lot of design synergy. The DSP board for instance, can be powered from the Aux output on either of the SMPS, used to run the UcD Amp modules. Also the standby function on the DSP board can also send the SMPS's and the 6 Amp modules to sleep for power saving and click free start/sleep modes. This arrangement will give 180w into each of my 4ohm Woofers and 120w into the 8ohm Midrange and Tweeters.
    I need to put this into action, limited funds dictates I will build this in two stages. The first involves building just the DLCP set up and a pair of SMPS into the case and using my existing 6 channel Power Amp to run the speakers. The second phase will be to drop the 6 Amp modules into pre drilled locations and connect them to the rest of the DLCP system.

I received the Hypex parts for the first stage of the project.
    x2 SMPS
    DSP Board
    Input Board
    Control Board
    Various leads and a remote control

The input board has plenty of connections.
    You have the option of reducing the number of analogue balanced stereo input pairs from 4 to 3 or 2 if desired.
    Three analogue sources will be more than enough for me so I snapped the end pair off. The circuit board is weakened at the right point and designed to break if you press it over an edge. Using this number reduces the overall length and allows a bit of subtle relocation, that gives better cable paths for the two ribbon cables and the RJ45 lead in my layout.

I won't be doing much on this till after the NEBO 8 meeting.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice one Ken, I'd be interested in this for myself if it wasn't for the fact that my OB's are now 4 way. :-(
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice one Ken, I'd be interested in this for myself if it wasn't for the fact that my OB's are now 4 way. :-(
    You can daisy chain em, one control board and input board, with a DSP board as master and a second DSP board as slave, connected through the RJ45/Cat5 connections.
    So up to 6 way are possible using two boards. Cost does enter in to the equation, the DSP boards are 250 euro each plus 21% VAT plus 3% if you use credit card or paypal, plus shipping.

Saving up for a nice case now, modushop (hifi2000) in Italy do customised cases with the front panel machined to accept the Hypex screen and push buttons. They can anodize it and engrave/print to your spec as well, all at a price of course.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah, that would make it a bit pricey, especially since I'm pretty happy with the way the 4x10hd sounds.

Be interested to hear yours once it's done though.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

I'm doing it in two stages Ali, first just the DLCP through the Nakamichi amp. That will happen over the next few months, to get a taste for how it performs and also, it will allow me to do some experimenting with my speakers.
    Later I will install six UcD180HG Amp modules with HxR regulators into the case, but that will probably not happen till next year as they are not cheap.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye there is that. I'm running some vintage compression midrange drivers now, with an SB Acoustics Sartori tweeter on the top end. Woofers run to 200hz, Visaton B200 runs 200-800hz, compression driver 800-50000, then tweeter 5k up.

Sounding pretty good I think.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Yeh, I caught on another thread somewhere you had gone 4way.
    Horns you say, must be sounding pretty good, as the mid driver you used at Mibo was no slouch.
    SB Acoustics have some nice drivers.

It was a close thing between the SB 12" bass and the 12" Scanspeak for me, if I had been going for a ported design, it would have been the SB.
    Still considering the SB mid ranges, though I am really tempted to try the 3.5" Yamaha Beryllium mid dome with the Scanspeak bass.

So many combinations to consider, but you know all about that.

Ahh - I see you are still using the Visaton for upper bass/lower mids.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, though I have a pair of Alpair A12p's tucked away that will probably make the final design.

If you still looking for a mid, I'd highly recommend these drivers I'm using - pretty rare, but pairs do come up for sale now and again. Crystal D 500 is the driver, 70's Japanese stuff. Great drivers, and bettered the Altecs I was trying.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Around 105db too!

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

I'll have to look those drivers up, not one I've come across before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast