+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypex DLCP (DSP) with 6 Channel UcD Amp Project.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Me either, got them from Geoff here.
    There are times when you canít do the sensible thing, when you canít act like a responsible adult at all; you just have to do whatever insane thing comes into your head. When bad people do it they end up murderers, when good people do it they end up heroes, and when the rest of us do it we end up looking like total idiots. But whenís that ever stopped us?

I'm Geoff.

Those Cryslers are mega rare. I kept an eye out and I've never seen another pair anywhere.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Ken.

Default Update

I've been re thinking the amplification......

I was going to use 6 identical Hypex UcD180, that's 180w/4ohm 120w/8ohm.

My bass drivers are 4ohm and the mids/tweeters are 8ohm.

Using my current lash up and 7 channel Nakamichi amp, which has identical channels, I am having to attenuate the signal a fair amount for the mid/tweeter before the power amp, to match the levels I get out of the less sensitive bass drivers.

I know it's all about the total gain/sensitivity, but show me a high gain power amp that isn't big on watts. Apart from variations due to design/losses, for all intents and purposes, when looking at power amps, large gain = large watts. So I tend to talk in those terms, as the actual gain is usually buried in the spec somewhere.

My concern is that if I use six identical modules (read identical gain), I am going to have to make a similar large attenuation to the mid/tweeter channels, but in the digital domain, as the Hypex DLCP functions as a digital pre amp with individual level controls on the six output channels. I don't like the idea of using so much digital adjustment.

My proposed solution is to use the UcD400 modules for the two bass channels 400w/4ohm. Its not that I need so much power, its the benefit it gives, by having a more balanced gain structure across the channels, that will need the minimum digital attenuation to achieve the correct levels at the drivers.

An added bonus is I will probably have power to spare in the bass, which will allow me to consider a Linkwitz transform to EQ the bass and lower the f3 point, if I feel I need to. The driver has plenty of Xmax if I were to attempt this.

Just thinking about the pros and cons at the moment, it will still fit in the same case footprint, but not in the planned 2U case height. The UCD400 are taller and will need a 3U case, which would also allow me to use a thicker piece of aluminium, as a heat sink in the bottom of the case.
    Ken

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/
    DIY Technics/ProJect based Turntable + Terminator linear tracker + Ortofon MC20 Supreme / Pro-Ject Phono box & Pre Box RS / KMTech Active X-Over / Nakamichi AVP1 Power / DIY Sealed Three Way Speakers / Stello CDT100 Transport / DAC Magic.

I'm Alan.

I like your thinking Ken, particularly the Linkwitz transform.

Watching with interest

I'm Ken.

Couldn't find anything about the Crystal driver Ali.
    I've looked at Alpair before, the AL12P is a full range speaker but looks like it would make a good OB midrange.
    I would have to use it in a sealed chamber. It gets good feedback from folks that have used it on diyaudio etc.
    My first test, once the digital crossover is running, is to try the Yamaha Beryllium dome mid with the Scanspeak bass and Fountek Ribbon.
    The mid and Ribbon are closed back and don't need a separate chamber, so I can just mount em OB style on a baffle board for a quick test.
    Ken

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/
    DIY Technics/ProJect based Turntable + Terminator linear tracker + Ortofon MC20 Supreme / Pro-Ject Phono box & Pre Box RS / KMTech Active X-Over / Nakamichi AVP1 Power / DIY Sealed Three Way Speakers / Stello CDT100 Transport / DAC Magic.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah there's not much out there.
    There are times when you canít do the sensible thing, when you canít act like a responsible adult at all; you just have to do whatever insane thing comes into your head. When bad people do it they end up murderers, when good people do it they end up heroes, and when the rest of us do it we end up looking like total idiots. But whenís that ever stopped us?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12