+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to change technics tonearm

I'm Dimitar.

Default Suggestion to change technics tonearm

Hi guys,
    what are the best options to replace the technics tonearm. Easy to mod, and not cost too much.
    Thanks.

I'm Clive.

The answer most on here will give you is the Jelco 750D. Bloody good arm that invites fettling with different headshells and tonearm interconnects.
    Personally I prefer the better arms from Origin Live but these are significantly more expensive.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    Hi guys,
    what are the best options to replace the technics tonearm. Easy to mod, and not cost too much.
    Thanks.
    What's your budget ? as that will assist responses

I'm Dimitar.

I guess Jelco 750D is fine as my budget will allow it, but what I'm concerned is that the effective tonearm mass is 20g, which is far too much than the stock arm.. and my high compliance cartridges won't work properly.
    Also, this means to forget about Ortofon 2m Black right, since it is high compliance cartridge.

I'm Dimitar.

I wouldn't change the stock tonearm, but I made a mistake, to loosen the top pillar of the tonearm bearings, and there is no way to bring it back to the factory settings - it's too sensitive, 0.5 microns as I know, so it's impossible to recalibrate.
    Pity, because I did rewired the tonearm..

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    I guess Jelco 750D is fine as my budget will allow it, but what I'm concerned is that the effective tonearm mass is 20g, which is far too much than the stock arm.. and my high compliance cartridges won't work properly.
    Also, this means to forget about Ortofon 2m Black right, since it is high compliance cartridge.
    I'm sure there are people using the 2M Black with the Jelco 750D and getting good results.

I had great results with the 2MB on my arm which I believe is medium mass.

I'm Dimitar.

Do I need to buy cables for the Jelco? because I found one that looks like without tonearm cables

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I'm sure there are people using the 2M Black with the Jelco 750D and getting good results.

I had great results with the 2MBon my arm which I believe is medium mass.
    I am getting great results with a Jelco 750 and a 2M Black cart. Very happy my end. With amazing sounds.

I'm M.

Hope the jelco arms work with a 2mblack!!!just purchased an Isokinetic silver melody 750 and 2m black just waiting for a silver cable to arrive to set them up

blackstar Guest

Playing with different headshells, different counterweights and damping makes the Jelco an incredibly versatile tonearm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast