+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestion to change technics tonearm

I'm Dimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    One of the improvements of the M5G arms is the wiring. If you are going to rewire it, why not just do the Mk.2?
    I just edited my post. That's what I am wondering right now.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    M5G is better than MK2 arm
    To my understanding there are only 3 differences between the m5g arm and mk2 arm- matte finish rather than shiny (purely aesthetic), wiring upgraded from regular copper to OFC, the addition of a horizontal control weight, which is designed to be used in DJing and bypassed completely for home use.

The only "hifi" upgrade over the mk2 arm is the wiring. If you ever plan to use the KABUSA fluid damper you have to completely remove the horizontal control knob

With regards to screwing up the bearings on tonearm change- to my understanding there's no need to touch the bearings- just a few screws
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 11-05-2017 at 09:09.

I'm Dimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    To my understanding there are only 3 differences between the m5g arm and mk2 arm- matte finish rather than shiny (purely aesthetic), wiring upgraded from regular copper to OFC, the addition of a horizontal control weight, which is designed to be used in DJing and bypassed completely for home use.

The only "hifi" upgrade over the mk2 arm is the wiring. If you ever plan to use the KABUSA fluid damper you have to completely remove the horizontal control knob

With regards to screwing up the bearings on tonearm change- to my understanding there's no need to touch the bearings- just a few screws
    It looks like it's also made from different material (titanium instead of aluminium) which is why it looks different. And this may also contribute to better sound performace. Although I'm not sure, that's why I ask which will be better:

1. M5G stock arm with no rewire
    2. MK2 rewired with Cardas Tonearm Rewire kit.

Option 1 is more expensive than option 2. So the question is 1 or 2?
    Last edited by mindarelus; 11-05-2017 at 13:01.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post

Yep, three screws to mount the arm although you do have to remove the feet, rubber base and resin insert to get to those three screws.

Another difference between the mk2 and 5g arms is the anti-skate range.

I'm Dimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by chiz View Post
    Another difference between the mk2 and 5g arms is the anti-skate range.
    This is in case I change the entire arm with its base. I'm changing only the tonearm. Strange, no one knows if it offers any benefits besides the better cables inside?

I'm Hugo.

I'm of the impression that the tonearm wands are the same- just with a different finish, but I'm not certain. They've got the same effective mass, for what it's worth.

No benefits aside from the wires, to my knowledge. Never done a side-by-side comparison. Perhaps contact KAB
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 14-05-2017 at 10:25.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    I wouldn't change the stock tonearm, but I made a mistake, to loosen the top pillar of the tonearm bearings, and there is no way to bring it back to the factory settings - it's too sensitive, 0.5 microns as I know, so it's impossible to recalibrate.
    Pity, because I did rewired the tonearm..
    Can you post a pic or two of what you've done? With the knowledge base around here, I'd be surprised if someone could not help you get it squared away.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Dimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    Can you post a pic or two of what you've done? With the knowledge base around here, I'd be surprised if someone could not help you get it squared away.
    The bearings screws are factory calibrated. After this they are not supposed to be touched. I didn't know that. Now suspension of the arm feels different, it's like something is applying pressure, and something is not normal. I can feel it and hear it.
    So the solution to me is change the tonearm, and I wonder between two options, since Jelco is too expensive for me at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123