+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to change technics tonearm

I'm Hugo.

The effective mass of the SA750D is disouted at best, thanks to horrible communication from jelco. They tend to say

SA-750D Effective mass(with HS-25 headshell) is calculated as follows.
    13.48g without cartridge.
    19.23g with cartridge(6.5g)
    So the effective mass is 13.48g when using a 12g headshell. The technics headshell is 7g if you want to reduce mass. That's my understanding at least. one grsm of mass at the headshell equals approx 1 gram of effective mass

To follow up a question from Dimitar that's yet to be answered I think.

My understanding is that the sa750 comes with internal wiring but the wiring terminates at a DIN socket at the base of the tonearm. The user must buy a DIN -> RCA cable in order to connect it to the amplifier

Is this correct?
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 27-04-2017 at 01:06.

I'm Dimitar.

I think I wouldn't use the stock Jelco wiring.

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    The effective mass of the SA750D is disouted at best, thanks to horrible communication from jelco. They tend to say

So the effective mass is 13.48g when using a 12g headshell. The technics headshell is 7g if you want to reduce mass. That's my understanding at least. one grsm of mass at the headshell equals approx 1 gram of effective mass

To follow up a question from Dimitar that's yet to be answered I think.

My understanding is that the sa750 comes with internal wiring but the wiring terminates at a DIN socket at the base of the tonearm. The user must buy a DIN -> RCA cable in order to connect it to the amplifier

Is this correct?
    Yes you will need to add a Din to RCA cable as well Hugo
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Dimitar.

After a lot of thinking I decided I could get the Technics M5G tonearm. One question - will it fit my MK2 tonearm base without any problems?

I'm Ben.

I've changed the arm on my 1200 mk2 to a Jelco 750D. Cant fault it at all, as others have said its incredibly versatile and has a lovely feel when using it. I cant comment on changing to different standard arm but I doubt you would be unhappy with a 750D.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    Do I need to buy cables for the Jelco? because I found one that looks like without tonearm cables
    You do but don't buy the Jelco one, it isn't the most transparent cable.
    Regards Neil

I'm Kevin.

After a lot of thinking I decided I could get the Technics M5G tonearm. One question - will it fit my MK2 tonearm base without any problems?
    The Jelco will be better....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dimitar.

It is much more expensive. M5G is better than MK2 arms. And I will rewire it with Cardas cables. It will be fine, and I will not lose the easy settings on the technics (anti-skate, height, easy replacement of headshells and so on).
    I only bother are they compatible, because on the m5g the antiscating is from 0 to 6...

The other thing that bothers me, is will I be able to tell any difference between MK2 and M5G tonearms if I rewire both.. Interestingly, but the price of M5G is much moreeee.. only for better OFC wiring? There should be something more, or at least I think so...
    Last edited by mindarelus; 09-05-2017 at 14:39.

I'm Kevin.

It is much more expensive. M5G is better than MK2 arms. And I will rewire it with Cardas cables. It will be fine, and I will not lose the easy settings on the technics (anti-skate, height, easy replacement of headshells and so on).
    I only bother are they compatible, because on the m5g the antiscating is from 0 to 6...
    One of the improvements of the M5G arms is the wiring. If you are going to rewire it, why not just do the Mk.2?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mick.

The answer to your question yes it will fit. I upgraded the wiring on my Technics mk2 arm. It was straight through Isokinetik litz cable from the head shell to the RCA plugs. I then shrink wrapped the arm tube and with all this it was a very good upgrade on the standard arm (Still debating selling or keeping it). Moving up to the Jelco made a big difference again as it has an internal oil damper and in general its a lot better built. I love the Jelco with the 2M carts as it sings very well.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast