+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re finishing speakers

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    A tin of black gelcoat doesn't cost much more than a tin of black paint.

Gelcoat can be applied by brush or spray. Once applied and cured it would need to be sanded smooth with progressively fine grades of wet-or-dry paper used wet, ending at 1,000 or 2,000 grit, and then polished smooth with T-Cut or similar.

With a bit of elbow grease it would be an easy DIY project, and wouldn't need to take long.
    Yes, what I meant was that's it's very labour intensive and therefore expensive if you're paying someone else to do it.

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, what I meant was that's it's very labour intensive and therefore expensive if you're paying someone else to do it.
    It would be a moderately easy DIY project.

If paying somebody else, it might not cost any more than painting, as there is only one coat involved, rather than several if painting.

The real work is in sanding and polishing, which almost anybody could do.

I'm Steve.

All being well a kind AOSer may be veneering them for me. Loads of good info though. I'll take a photo of the finish as I'm was sure I was told it was vinyl finished but it does have a gloss to it.

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Surely that would change the tonal characteristics?
    Say what ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Say what ?
    Surely you know what I'm getting at. The resonance characteristics of the cabinet are part of what creates the sonic signature of each (well designed) speaker. Adding a skin of Tolex will no doubt change this. For better or worse, who knows?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think the guy who owns the body shop would be the person to speak to. He will know what he has available to spray and how it will react with different substrates.
    A very low tech option would be to use shoe polish on the cabinets to make them look a bit better.
    Some photos of the speakers might help.
    The shoe polish can work, my friend did this on some black LS3/5's, improved them a lot, but they were not too far gone.
    Spendorman

I'm Nigel.

There is always Fablon!

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Surely you know what I'm getting at. The resonance characteristics of the cabinet are part of what creates the sonic signature of each (well designed) speaker. Adding a skin of Tolex will no doubt change this. For better or worse, who knows?
    I thought that was what you were implying. Merely incredulous is all.
    Clearly we all have varying beliefs. No worries.

I'm Michael.

I find AN speakers are often unattractive having such a wide frontal area. Use of a decent veneer could transform their appearance. Hopefully we can see the finished result in due course. I assume the fronts would be done but could be mistaken.

I'm Steve.

This the current finish...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast