+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD not spinning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bigman80 Guest

Default CD not spinning

Ok technology geniuses, when I insert a cd into my cd player it doesn't spin and doesn't read the disc.

What is the suggested route of action ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

What kind. Might be motor
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    What kind. Might be motor
    The last time that happened to me, arcam cd73, arcam told me the Lazer was buggered,and it would cost more than the player was worth,I had/have no expertise so it got binned fingers crossed you can get good advice
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

Bigman80 Guest

Its an old jvc model.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

they mostly use similar spindle motors, but are fiddly to change if you can find another. getting the correct height etc can be difficult on some. If its a cheapish oldish one its probably landfill. But you never know. Alan might be able to advise if he saw it.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It won't read if it can't spin the disc so to diagnose that as a laser fault is bizarre.

First thing I do if this happens is open it up and see if there are any visible issues, something obvious and easily fixed without any skill, experience or technical knowledge. There have never been any so far but I still live in hope.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It won't read if it can't spin the disc so to diagnose that as a laser fault is bizarre.

First thing I do if this happens is open it up and see if there are any visible issues, something obvious and easily fixed without any skill, experience or technical knowledge. There have never been any so far but I still live in hope.
    On older Players, once the Tray has closed, the first thing that happens is that the Laser lights and then the Focus Coils are energised (usually three times on older players) so it appears to go up and down three times as it attempts to Focus on the inserted Disc.
    Once it gets enough light reflected from the disc a Focus Lock signal is generated, then, and only then is the Spindle servo activated.
    As technology moved on, some players did indeed give the Spindle Motor a kick before everything above happened. However, my first thought on older players is always the Laser.

JVC did suffer from Spindle Motor failure. On an older player I would just change both anyway, once the actual cause has been discovered.

Jim.

I'm Evan.

I concur Jim ..
    I am a TV repair technician by trade and have done many replacement optical pickups in the past ..
    Jim is correct ..
    There needs to be an initial response from the pickup of the laser light reflected from the disc surface before there can be any response from the servo ..thus no disc startup.
    Certainly this is/was true of older CD players ..
    So like Jim ..I strongly suspect opu(laser) over spindle motor or servo..

There is a test you can do for yourself re - the spindle/disc motor..
    The two connections to the motor have to be isolated ...and a 5 to 6v (battery is best) supply connected directly to the motor ..
    This should cause the motor to spin ..and you can run it forward and in reverse for a short period ..
    I wouldn't exceed a minute or so ..
    This overunning the motor briefly often cleans the crap from the internal brushes ..and will temporarily revive a poorly motor ..
    But if it does not spin at all ..
    consider the motor defective ..
    My money is still on the laser..

rgds
    VS
    Last edited by Vipersan; 01-05-2017 at 20:47.

I'm Grant.

potential for a bad connection/broken wire. The really old ones had better metal motors unlike some newer ones that a lot of it is plastic . Brushes usually go.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm nigel.

budget cd players are cheap as chips at the mo due to the ahem...vinyl revival.
    my local cash gerarator is swimming with the plasticy facia types.

having said that, I have a rather fine Cambridge audio CD4..."tuned by pink triangle" it proudly says on the back.....

its yours for nowt if you can get to Nottingham anytime soon.

NIGE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast