+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD not spinning

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It won't read if it can't spin the disc so to diagnose that as a laser fault is bizarre.

First thing I do if this happens is open it up and see if there are any visible issues, something obvious and easily fixed without any skill, experience or technical knowledge. There have never been any so far but I still live in hope.
    On older Players, once the Tray has closed, the first thing that happens is that the Laser lights and then the Focus Coils are energised (usually three times on older players) so it appears to go up and down three times as it attempts to Focus on the inserted Disc.
    Once it gets enough light reflected from the disc a Focus Lock signal is generated, then, and only then is the Spindle servo activated.
    As technology moved on, some players did indeed give the Spindle Motor a kick before everything above happened. However, my first thought on older players is always the Laser.

JVC did suffer from Spindle Motor failure. On an older player I would just change both anyway, once the actual cause has been discovered.

Jim.

I'm Evan.

I concur Jim ..
    I am a TV repair technician by trade and have done many replacement optical pickups in the past ..
    Jim is correct ..
    There needs to be an initial response from the pickup of the laser light reflected from the disc surface before there can be any response from the servo ..thus no disc startup.
    Certainly this is/was true of older CD players ..
    So like Jim ..I strongly suspect opu(laser) over spindle motor or servo..

There is a test you can do for yourself re - the spindle/disc motor..
    The two connections to the motor have to be isolated ...and a 5 to 6v (battery is best) supply connected directly to the motor ..
    This should cause the motor to spin ..and you can run it forward and in reverse for a short period ..
    I wouldn't exceed a minute or so ..
    This overunning the motor briefly often cleans the crap from the internal brushes ..and will temporarily revive a poorly motor ..
    But if it does not spin at all ..
    consider the motor defective ..
    My money is still on the laser..

rgds
    VS
    Last edited by Vipersan; 01-05-2017 at 20:47.

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for the response guys but I got an ebay refund and its now in the bin lol.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    budget cd players are cheap as chips at the mo due to the ahem...vinyl revival.
    my local cash gerarator is swimming with the plasticy facia types.

having said that, I have a rather fine Cambridge audio CD4..."tuned by pink triangle" it proudly says on the back.....

its yours for nowt if you can get to Nottingham anytime soon.

NIGE.
    yes I bought a rather fine almost new onkyo sacd player the other day for very little and it sounds rather fine , in fact its pretty good !
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    budget cd players are cheap as chips at the mo due to the ahem...vinyl revival.
    my local cash gerarator is swimming with the plasticy facia types.

having said that, I have a rather fine Cambridge audio CD4..."tuned by pink triangle" it proudly says on the back.....

its yours for nowt if you can get to Nottingham anytime soon.

NIGE.
    Ive sent you a PM matey.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I feel it raises an interesting question of what CD player is worth repairing. Most of it is designed for a finite life then the recycling skip. I feel we generally expect too much for the price we pay. They havent designed the stuff to be modular with a lifetime guarantee of repair. They should do buts its a case of component lifespan and planned obsolescence to a cost. Its nice when certain things last but they dont owe us anything. I have things which have lasted for 30+ years..... bless the manufacturer

Unless its a simple fix and modules are available for replacement, it could be anything. A toc read error or motor failure is not often a simple fix even presuming parts are available

I have experienced the pain of a CDM1 mechanism let down by horrendous soldering on the processing and control boards. It is frustrating when you can test that the laser is fully working. That particular early machine had test codes that could be entered with a combination of fascia buttons. It was beyond me and a job for a restoration expert. I thought a family member would help but his heart wasnt in it and to be fair its a complex job to ask a favour for.

Anyone like my father who has a test bench and oscilloscope knows thare is a point where its just not worth the cost in time, parts and effort to repair things. Unless its some super duper, high end model, you just buy another one

I know there is a community of enthusiasts that love restoring certain models.

I'm Paul.

what bugs me is a decent player dying for the sake of a scabby plastic gear wheel (my wife's arcam drawer needs on and my TEAC T1 needs one too...)

Isnt there a chap on here with a 3D printer? If he had scans of all these various cogs he could probably make a fair few quid printing them on demand

I'm James.

The ARCAM is probably the Philips Mechanism Tray Gear.......................

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=philips+tray+gear

And a chap in the Ukraine is now selling replacement Gears for the VRDS Mech in Metal...........................

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172661027190?...MakeTrack=true and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172670128026?...MakeTrack=true

I've not tried them and have no affiliation to him or any of the sellers of the Philips Gears on ebay.

Jim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12