+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD AUDIO 'SATCHMO' Pre Amplifier

I'm Adam.

Default AD AUDIO 'SATCHMO' Pre Amplifier

AD AUDIO 'SATCHMO' Pre Amplifier
    I was asked by another member of this parish to give my thoughts on the new Satchmo Pre Amp from AD Audio.
    i am not experienced at this sort of Jazz so bear with me...but here it is.

Built by David Coe ('Juancho' on Wam & AoS) has a Considered and professional approach to his work, knows his Onions and is a very likeable chap.

Impressions:

Digital
    Dynamics across all frequencies fill the room in startling beauty.
    Bass is full, controlled with such depth in each note no flab or bloat and that lovely wood coming through the notes on Acoustic Bass, you can feel the strings being plucked.
    Midrange is so open but with richness and depth, it digs into the tune to extract the beauty in strings and both female and male vocals. Sinatra literally had me in bits on 'Autumn Leaves'...
    Strings have richness and extension and seem to go deep into the layers of the music.
    Top/treble is so sweet, extremely detailed but not edgy and no rolling off. I can listen for hours..Cymbals have a depth of metal being struck, horns float and fade with such air.
    The combined presentation has such an image that the dreaded 'Holographic ' bollocks cliche is an unavoidable description. The dynamics and overall musicality
    are quite overwhelming. Each tune becomes an experience and demands your attention and holds your involvement.

Vinyl.
    With a combination of the 'Satchmo' and Hashimoto HM7 SUT
    The whole presentation is quite Astounding. The music simply
    moves you emotionally to the point of paralysis!
    Details, emotion, instrument imaging and feeling is a real experience.
    The over all Flow to the presentation is beautiful.
    Music is so engaging, it demands your attention, even at low volume levels.
    Phono stage is very quiet.

A quality feel all around to the unit, nice Italian made case, simple to look at, satisfying feel to the knobs, if you know what I mean..

I must be clear I have NO professional connection with AD Audio and David Coe and have No other incentive than to 'Big Up'
    his builds and service.

APOLOGIES FOR LACK OF PICTURES...I AM NOT GOOD AT ATTACHING PICS ON THE FORUM POSTS!
    A LINK TO THE IMAGE OF THE UNIT IS BELOW (Contact David Coe for under the Hood Pictures)

The Specifications for all Satchmo Preamplifiers are:

The Satchmo is a very high quality preamplifier that uses an SRPP driver stage.
    The circuit design incorporates a high voltage regulator that keeps the voltage to the anodes at the optimum value.
    DC filament power helps to create an amplifier with low noise and exceptional sonic qualities.

Frequency response 15 HZ to past 25 K HZ +/- .5db

At 1 volt into a 50K ohm load.

S/N in excess of 90 db at 1 volt.

THD under 0.5% at any frequency.

Maximum output into 50K ohms in excess of 20 volts.

The Satchmo can be designed and built to your very own specification. Options include:

remote control
    your choice of attenuator
    phono stage
    number of inputs /outputs
    All Satchmos are hand built using point to point wiring with silver wire in the signal path, Kiwame carbon film resistors, LeClanche or Mundorf coupling capacitors, and JJ802s valves.

The base model with Alps volume control, two outputs and four inputs built in the customised Italian case in the photo costs £1,100

https://adaudio.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/the-satchmo/

Last edited by WESTLOWER; 19-04-2017 at 09:05. Reason: pictures
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Phil.

thanks adam , you have written it up beautifully . glad its sounding good . very good vfm too
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adam.

Thanks Phil!
    I don't like spending my corn..but I knew this Pre to be Outstanding value along side Outstanding performance.
    it was a no brainer.
    Very Glad you liked the review.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Bruce.

Well you've got us wanting to hear it now!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Adam.

Well you've got us wanting to hear it now!

Well I'm in Barnet north london if you want to drop by for a coffee and some tunes..or Dalvid is building
    A loner / demo unit. (He sells everyone he builds!) I'm sure he will accommodate
    Any demo requests.

I'm David.

Default AD Audio New Satchmo Preamp

Hi All,
    Firstly, thanks Adam for that great write up. A few words about the Satchmo pre and phono. The preamp is designed to offer the best possible sound quality at an affordable price as well as offering solid state levels of signal /noise ratio. It also includes the best possible components such as Takman or Kiwame carbon film resistors, JJ valves, Mundorf or Leclanche capacitors and silver signal wiring. In other words, there is nothing worth upgrading as it's all been done!

It is also entirely configurable from a basic line level pre to a top of the line dual mono pre with attenuator. Steps in between include:

1. Remote control volume
    2. Shunt or stepped ladder attenuators
    3. Dual mono version
    4. Three levels of phono stage from budget but great sounding through a mid price offer and the top of the range phono stage (the one Adam's got).

Adam and I hope to hold a bake off at some point where folk can come and hear a couple of the versions, including Adam's, and I'm also busy building my first dem unit, but so far, as Adam says they've all been snapped up.

I also offer the Cannonballs, 50 watt Class A mono blocks using KT150s with no feedback, and switchable between triode and pentode modes and will shortly be offering a valve output stage version of the DDDac. All these will also be on display at the bake off. Do have a look at my Website https://adaudio.wordpress.com for further information or ask any questions!
    David
    Last edited by AD Audio; 27-04-2017 at 18:51.

I'm Phil.

how are things going with the satchmo ? anyone else tried one recently ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm brian.

Is David a fan of Louise A.

I'm David.

I am a fan of Louis A! But wanted to name my products after Jazz Musicians hence Satchmo, Cannonballs, Little Gate etc. Most of my Satchmos have been built for folk who don't participate in Fora-or even live in the UK, some have gone to Italy, Belgium etc. Westlower has kindly offered his as a demo point, where Tom (Montesquieu heard it) and my own demo unit is going to MikeyB next week.

But I'm a small producer and all these units are handmade and point to point wired and equally I do restorations, upgrades and servicing for other equipment so production is always bespoke and small scale
    David
    Last edited by AD Audio; 24-06-2018 at 22:09.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    I am a fan of Louis A! But wanted to name my products after Jazz Musicians hence Satchmo, Cannonballs, Little Gate etc. Most of my Satchmos have been built for folk who don't participate in Fora-or even live in Italy, Belgium etc. Westlower has kindly offered his as a demo point, where Tom (Montesquieu heard it) and my own demo unit is going to MikeyB next week.

But I'm a small producer and all these units are handmade and point to point wired and equally I do restorations, upgrades and servicing for other equipment so production is always bespoke an small scale
    David
    Looking forward to listening to Satchmo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast