View Poll Results: Do cables make a difference to your listening experience.

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nearly Always

51 63.75%
  • Sometimes

20 25.00%
  • Never

9 11.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do cables make a difference to your listening experience.

I'm joe.

I'm mostly far too lazy to be arsed with cable comparisons. Several years ago, I replaced some freebie cables with the then AoS flavour of the month cables. The FOTM cables sounded much worse, a finding that was greeted with disbelief here on AoS. Earlier this year, however, I swapped in a spare set of VdH cables in place of the set of freebies connecting my headphone amp to the preamp in the upstairs system, and the difference was immediately noticeable, and represented a considerable improvement. So, yes cables can and do make a difference, but different doesn't always equal better.

In the downstairs system, by contrast, swapping around interconnects seems to make relatively little difference (but there's effectively only one swappable cable anyway, between the CDT and the amp/DAC, so not much scope for experimentation).

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    In response to others who have posted here and clearly do not know how to listen, when I change cables in my system, my partner Sue and I can hear a clear difference. The difference we hear is as clear as crystal and the equivalent to a cartridge change.
    I don't listen to cables or anything else in my system. I simply make a substitution and if there is a change or a difference that is important to me I will hear it, whether I want to or not. After a week or two, I will reverse the substitution to see if the change was genuine or illusory. Then I have to decide if the change is an improvement or not, and thus make the substitution permanent.

I have tried a dozen or so cables over the years, and whilst I have at times heard differences, they have been so slight as to not be worth worrying about.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

I stopped using cables years ago.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm James.

Didn't the op ask for a simple yes/no type answer?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Didn't the op ask for a simple yes/no type answer?
    Maybe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Analogue: YES

Digital: NO

Mains: ?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Shaun.

Ah but how does one determine whether the difference is better or not...? Sue and I can clearly hear a difference but how does one decide whether it is better or just different...? We now have a set of cables that we are happy with so to answer the original post 'yes' cables did make a difference to our experience.

I'm Paul.

Going from bell wire to heavy guage high strand count speaker wires did make a big difference but never fell for the £1000 interconnects being that much better than £50 interconnects nonsense.

The laws of physics just does not back it up, Audiophools and their money syndrome again. Once their money is spent people will hear all sorts of unproven improvements just to justify their spending to themselves,
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I stopped using cables years ago.
    Same here, I just glue all my kit together. Sounds great.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Could do with a few more votes on this. It's interesting.

So far 12% say they never hear a difference. I mean I voted 'sometimes', but 'never'? Can't get my head round that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast