+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I'm Simon.

Default Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I just wondered if anyone is skilled enough on this forum to have ever tried to make their own mains conditioning power bar or seperates conditioning unit, similar to the isotek Aquarius. Or power bar like the isotek Sirius.

Looking at what goes into the Aquarius it's not much but I'm sure the order of items on the circuit and their tolerances and quality all play their part into making one product better than another. But much of what I hear (from electrical engineer friends) is you just need a filter and I'm always a bit dubious it will be as good. And also the hobbyists making these types of units have been making rather rudimentary ones, which again I'm dubious of being as good as the isotek.

But I've heard these isotek devices in demos against b and q power blocks, and they can make a very good difference to decent hi fi. The Aquarius made an exposure amp sound like a different one, in a test at the Bristol show.

Problem is they are £1500 and for what's inside ?

It strikes me therefore why a hobbyist electrical engineer and hi fi fan hasn't just tried to look at what's in these isotek devices and build a copy or similar, which I'm sure wouldn't be breaking any copyright. Have a bake off and compare it to a b and q bar, and sell them on forums. They could make a few quid and buy a nice case too.

I suppose this is is a bit of a selfish question for me as I'm in the market for something like an Aquarius, when I can, but paying £1500 for what it is, is hard to stomach.

http://cdn2.mos.techradar.futurecdn....nno-580-90.jpg
    Last edited by Dynamics; 28-04-2017 at 21:24. Reason: Picture adding

I'm John.

Here's some stuff from the Lampizator website which might be of interest.

http://www.lampizator.eu/AC%20FILTER/SILK/FILTER.HTML

http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/SILK_AC_FILTER.html

I suppose it depends on the cleanliness of the mains in your location but I've found mains filtering can make a huge difference.

But also, different filters suit different amps. There's always a trade off between noise reduction and squashed dynamics. I've found they can blunt leading edges which ruins rhythms.

The trick is getting the filter that suits your gear.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Here's some stuff from the Lampizator website which might be of interest.

http://www.lampizator.eu/AC%20FILTER/SILK/FILTER.HTML

http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/SILK_AC_FILTER.html

I suppose it depends on the cleanliness of the mains in your location but I've found mains filtering can make a huge difference.

But also, different filters suit different amps. There's always a trade off between noise reduction and squashed dynamics. I've found they can blunt leading edges which ruins rhythms.

The trick is getting the filter that suits your gear.

Thanks for the links, but these are exactly the types of sites I've seen. It's all very homemade looking.

I don't reckon it would cost much to design a circuit on a circuit board similar to that of the isoteks etc, and the components on it and have it made, also then buy a metal case and mount it on. If you know what you are doing as an engineer. Surely it can be done for less than £1500.

I think the reason why the isoteks are charging £1500 is because of all their marketing, factory costs. But if someone did it as a hobbyist engineer and had the circuit made, I doubt it would cost more than hundreds for the privilege. Surely?

I'm Phil.

i am sure you could do it for less than 1500 quid . sadly isotek stuff has gone up massively . i bought my sigmas over 10 years ago and its still brilliant. i paid a grand new with a 25 year warrenty and they cost a shed load more now

i have had 3 of their syncros with very good effect

the secret is to buy s/h now i think to save money

like this one , i had mine converted to schuco like this one

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morein...isotek&offset=
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I'm sure the order of items on the circuit and their tolerances and quality all play their part into making one product better than another. But much of what I hear (from electrical engineer friends) is you just need a filter and I'm always a bit dubious it will be as good. And also the hobbyists making these types of units have been making rather rudimentary ones, which again I'm dubious of being as good as the isotek.
    Thanks for the links, but these are exactly the types of sites I've seen. It's all very homemade looking.
    I don't reckon it would cost much to design a circuit on a circuit board similar to that of the isoteks etc, and the components on it and have it made, also then buy a metal case and mount it on.
    Is your issue with the DIY filters that they won't perform as well as the Isotek or that they look homemade?
    The link posted above to the lampizator page is a good one and the circuit is a pretty standard RFI filter, much like what will be in the Isotek. I have no doubt that a good DIY filter will perform as well as a commercial one. As for looking homemade, any piece of DIY audio can look terrible or look fabulous depending on how much effort the maker wants to put into the appearance. And as for it not costing much to design a circuit board, you're wrong - it can takes ages to design a circuit board and having them made can cost a lot of money in tooling costs and set-up charges. It's not worth doing for a one-off project.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You could buy a balanced mains transformer from Airlink for under 300 quid.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rob.

The Aquarius made an exposure amp sound like a different one, in a test at the Bristol show.
    Firstly, the mains at the Bristol show is very noisy - hotels circuits aren't great to start with - and then with every adjacent room full of electronic kit adding their own noise to the system. So a mains conditioner is going to make a significant difference in that environment.

However, I too was very impressed with the Isotek demo at the Bristol show about 3yrs ago. I went out and bought four Isotek mains cables, and was impressed with the difference they made to my system. I then bought a Isotek GII Vision and was even more impressed. The noise floor dropped significantly - with silences became deeper and the spaces between instruments became more obvious. Those are high on my list of best purchases.

That said - I've got noisy mains. I work in IT and have a lot of computer equipment. Even worse, I use Ethernet over mains to get network connectivity to the far ends of my house. You may well have better mains in your house than I do. So you may well not get the improvement that I get. - So I'd strongly recommend trying before buying.
    Rob.