View Poll Results: Do cables make a difference to your listening experience.

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nearly Always

51 63.75%
  • Sometimes

20 25.00%
  • Never

9 11.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do cables make a difference to your listening experience.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Maybe they've just never bothered experimenting with cables. Just hooked the stuff together and left well alone, saving themselves £££s and a lot of grief in the process.
    I only bought my first 'proper' interconnect cables because I had read about them in magazines and because I was not happy with my system and thought they might be a solution. Ditto with speaker cables. If there had no been a problem I would not have bothered as money was tight way back then.

I think they were the Tandy 'gold' interconnects which were inexpensive but a flavour of the month at the time (1991-ish).

They did improve the sound but were not a fix for the problem which later turned out to be that the kit I was using was crap.

Still, you live and learn. The point was the Tandy leads did indeed sound both different and, to me, better than the freebie leads they replaced.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

I must admit that I have put down never for the poll.

Because I run true balanced cables driven by ATC SCA2, I can use almost anything. There are slight differences between cables if you keep them in long enough to get to know their "flavour". I tried AudioNote ANVX silver cable instead of my usual Klotz/Mogami/VanDamm cable and I could not notice anything different that would make one better than the other.

I'm Martin.

You can't vote never and then admit there is a 'flavour'

Or maybe you can, the poll is a bit ambiguous I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can't vote never and then admit there is a 'flavour'

Or maybe you can, the poll is a bit ambiguous I suppose.
    As the poster was asking if different cables make a difference to the listening experience, I put down No because I do not worry what cables are there as I have the system sorted and enjoy it as it is.

I'm Martin.

Do you reckon that you could put freebie leads back in and it not be any issue? I tried that and it was.

Could be other factors I suppose, it wasn't night and day but they didn't stay in. Don't get me wrong I'd rather there was not a difference or at least not a discernible one, doesn't really matter to me if it did all turn out to be psychological: If I hear it, repeatedly and reversibly then its reality for me regardless of theory.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I need a "rarely" or "occasionally, but the change is not worth bothering about" 'box' for me to vote as I find.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If I hear it, repeatedly and reversibly then its reality for me regardless of theory.
    +1. It's called being a free-thinker, and thus having the gumption *ultimately* to apply your own judgement criteria to matters, regardless of what 'science says' is right.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

Blueflash, how do you find the SCA2, and do you think it is overpriced?
    Have you by any chance compared it with an AVI S2000MP?

I use Van Damme BTW. If you are using the SPA2 do you find that speaker cables make a significant difference?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    +1. It's called being a free-thinker, and thus having the gumption *ultimately* to apply your own judgement criteria to matters, regardless of what 'science says' is right.

Marco.
    +2 (to Martin's comment, you highlighted). I may be AoS's resident cable sceptic, but I have heard differences which I could identify (but would find hard to decribe) that were distinct, unique and repeatable. The differences were however small, and questionable as to if it constituted an improvement or not (to my ears) and the cables in question cost a fortune.

And no, I can't explain the differences I heard, but simply because I can't provide any explanation, it would be hypocritical of me to say I didn't hear what I did.

I can't explain water divining either, but I saw a diviner successfully finding a buried water pipe (I knew the route of the pipe). So should I say what I saw didn't happen, because I can't explain the phenomenon scientifically? I think not.
    Last edited by Barry; 21-04-2017 at 22:31. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

In my system, I readily hear differences between speaker cables, analogue interconnects and even digital interconnects. I have demonstrated these changes in sound to others and they are plain to hear. Naturally, I use those cables that have the least detrimental effect on the sound (all cables are detrimental, but some are more benign to the reproduced sound than others in their effects).

I don't suffer from 'expectation bias' (a term that is often thrown in as a subtle slur by the way, just to deride other points of view). I rely on my ears and judgement, which is very good when it comes to sound quality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast