+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What does it mean when the vinyl pressing is labeled 'audiophile'?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Back then Harry Moss had the big Tannoys.
    Different beast altogether.
    Gotcha. I totally get that the sonic signature of the studio monitors will determine the overall sound of the final master.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I think pretty much 90% of my 180/200 gm cuts are excellent. Only had a couple i,d say were disappointing. Still think the vinyl used in 50,s and early 60's was the best stuff especially for hardness and resilliannce to scratching. Have to say though my library vinyl wise has been getting smaller as i am getting infirm and using tt is difficult often. Thats sad as its still the best medium imo, at least at my pricepoint. If i could afford a chord dac i might change my mind of course. Lol. Ive collected vinyl all my life ... since i was 10 actually, and its a disease lol
    The ones I find most disappointing are the reissues of the material that was recorded 40 - 50 years ago. A case in point: Sgt. Pepper's 2012 mono reissue. Compared to my scratchy old mono Sgt. Peppers, the 2012 reissue sounds a bit muffled. I figure that's caused by the inevitable deterioration of the signal that was put on magnetic tape almost 50 years ago. Time is not gentle to those magnetic tapes...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    The ones I find most disappointing are the reissues of the material that was recorded 40 - 50 years ago. A case in point: Sgt. Pepper's 2012 mono reissue. Compared to my scratchy old mono Sgt. Peppers, the 2012 reissue sounds a bit muffled. I figure that's caused by the inevitable deterioration of the signal that was put on magnetic tape almost 50 years ago. Time is not gentle to those magnetic tapes...
    Ive not heard the reissue but have one of the older presses.. it is quite good. The Magazine issue of let it be a few weeks ago was quite decent, and only one I bought. Ive got areissue of Abbey rd, which is good but not the mag one. I also have the older press from 60's. its up for sale actually. Its greatbut I dont need 2. None of the Beatles recordings are going to astound you sonically as they were recorded in a different way to modern music.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Ive not heard the reissue but have one of the older presses.. it is quite good. The Magazine issue of let it be a few weeks ago was quite decent, and only one I bought. Ive got areissue of Abbey rd, which is good but not the mag one. I also have the older press from 60's. its up for sale actually. Its greatbut I dont need 2. None of the Beatles recordings are going to astound you sonically as they were recorded in a different way to modern music.
    I for one find many Beatles LPs to sound very good, provided it's a good pressing, of course. Abbey Road side two is a stellar example, with crisp, sparkly sound, good extended frequency range, and overall very impressive and pleasant listening. Also, I have a "Hey Jude" compilation (Canadian pressing), and the sound on some songs if phenomenal (sonically my fav is "Old Brown Shoe").

Alex.

I'm Tony.

I think pretty much 90% of my 180/200 gm rly 60's was the best stuff especially for hardness and resilliannce to scratching. Have to say though my library vinyl wise has been getting smaller as i am getting infirm and using tt is difficult often. Thats sad as its still the best medium imo, at least at my pricepoint. If i could afford a chord dac i might change my mind of course. Lol. Ive collected vinyl all my life ... since i was 10 actually, and its a disease lol
    I can emphasise with you there Grant, as I'm also having problems due to becoming increasingly infirm. I can still operate my turntable ok, but due to progressive arthritis in both hands have had to resort to handling records with white cotton gloves to avoid greasy fingerprints. I've also had to start using my left hand (I'm right handed) as my right has become badly deformed so putting a glove on can be a painful process...can't say it's a bundle of fun with my left hand either come to that. It is indeed sad as you say, vinyl is my main format by far and I've been playing it for 50+ years, so it will be a hard habit to break. Might have to start training the missus!...second thoughts..it might be better to start expanding my CD collection.
    Last edited by moffer; 26-04-2017 at 07:37.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345