+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when the vinyl pressing is labeled 'audiophile'?

I'm Alex.

Default What does it mean when the vinyl pressing is labeled 'audiophile'?

I was chatting with a sales guy at the local record store and relayed my disappointing experience with the 2012 remastered Beatles "Abbey Road" 180 g pressing (which I purchased in his store). He replied that the new remaster sounds the way I describe it because it's the 'audiophile' issue (sic?!?)

That made me ponder: what does it mean when someone labels a vinyl pressing as 'audiophile'? If I were to judge by the overall sound of the 180 g Abbey Road remaster, I'd conclude that 'audiophile' implies dark, somewhat subdued, 'safe' sound. Excessively warm (to a fault), with a lot of high-end sparkle removed in order to eliminate the inevitable tape hiss. The end result is sound which, for the lack of a better word, I'd describe as 'sanded off'.

Maybe some connoisseurs prefer such castrated sound (and then rush to dignify it with 'audiophile' epithet), but to me it's all ass backwards. Or did I get everything wrong?

Anyway, what's your opinion on what qualifies as 'audiophile' issue?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jez.

It's just marketing bollocks... same as when they call a vacuum cleaner "digital"!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

Generally it means that they can charge you more for it, whether it's crap or not.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's just marketing bollocks... same as when they call a vacuum cleaner "digital"!
    My vacuum cleaner is digital. It has two states - on or off.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    My vacuum cleaner is digital. It has two states - on or off.
    Is that a switched mode supply

I'm martin.

It usually means that your wallet is about to be raided regardless of quality.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by archiesdad View Post
    It usually means that your wallet is about to be raided regardless of quality.
    Isn't that the provenance of 'remastered' issues?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alan.

It means to own it you have to grow a beard and smoke a pipe
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    It means to own it you have to grow a beard and smoke a pipe
    Bingo! That's why, when I tried to purchase an audiophile pressing, the sales clerk told me "your money is no good here, Sir". I was cleanly shaven (and I don't even own a pipe, let alone smoke it)

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Bingo! That's why, when I tried to purchase an audiophile pressing, the sales clerk told me "your money is no good here, Sir". I was cleanly shaven (and I don't even own a pipe, let alone smoke it)
    You have PM
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast