+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when the vinyl pressing is labeled 'audiophile'?

I'm Martin.

just a suggestion but could the 'dull' sound being described be as a result of incorrect RIAA equalisation? Either at the production end or at the reproduction end? Or both?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    just a suggestion but could the 'dull' sound being described be as a result of incorrect RIAA equalisation? Either at the production end or at the reproduction end? Or both?
    Yeah, could be. So through some comedy of errors, I may be using the botched chain that does RIAA equalization incorrectly, making the quality LPs sound dull, while making crappy LPs sound sparkly and lively? That would be so awesome if it were indeed possible!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So far, all the brand new 180 gram pressings I've purchased sound dull to me. It must be the thickness of the record messing with the VTA, or it is true that the new pressing plants were forced to invent new ways of producing LPs. Could it perhaps be that, in the effort to demonstrate how different vinyl sounds compared to digital files, the new way of pressing LPs intentionally leans toward the darker, duller, more muffled sound?

(I remember my buddy, who was at the time working in a hi fi store, relating to me the story about one of his patients... er, customers: he went to the customer's home to install some expensive new component, and then the guy started bragging how his ultra pricey digital rig sounds so 'analogue'. My friend noticed something's odd, in a major way, with the sound. When he checked, turned out that the tweeters got totally disconnected for some reason. So the customer thought that, due to the lack of highs in the sound reproduction, it had more analogue quality?)

Maybe it's that line of reasoning that is informing the new practices in the LP pressing?
    That has not been my experience for the most part. New 180g records aren't overly dark. Darker than my old records? I haven't really noticed. But it could be a VTA thing? As I said I adjust for the thicker records, so the thinner ones have a steeper angle.

And the RIAA thing may have something to do with it. Perhaps they, the master cutters, are applying more RIAA equalization? So they are lacking on both ends if the preamp is not applying enough gain to the highs and lows.?

I'm Clive.

For my main decks that I use most for listening I do not have an issue with 180g pressings sounding dull on my system. I am a bit similar to Russell in that I have not gone out of my way to purchase new pressings for old material and not sure if I have any that I can do a direct comparison with.

I have a lot of decks so do quite a bit of cartridge swapping with the objective of trying to get the performance up to the level of my best sounding decks. I don't set up my decks specifically for the 180g pressings but look for an average. If I have set the deck up correctly and it sounds dull then I will initially check VTA and tracking force. If the arm height is lower than parallel then it may lead toward a duller sound while higher than parallel may be too bright. The tracking force ideally needs to be somewhere in the middle of the recommended range but if too heavy could also result in a dull sound. If I cant get the sound I want after messing about with VTA and VTF then I blame the cartridge and switch to another.

Given a straight comparison of a thick record with a thin record of same material on the same deck then I would expect the thin record to sound brighter all other things being equal. Whether brighter means better will be down to your personal tastes and expectations as a listener.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    For my main decks that I use most for listening I do not have an issue with 180g pressings sounding dull on my system. I am a bit similar to Russell in that I have not gone out of my way to purchase new pressings for old material and not sure if I have any that I can do a direct comparison with.

I have a lot of decks so do quite a bit of cartridge swapping with the objective of trying to get the performance up to the level of my best sounding decks. I don't set up my decks specifically for the 180g pressings but look for an average. If I have set the deck up correctly and it sounds dull then I will initially check VTA and tracking force. If the arm height is lower than parallel then it may lead toward a duller sound while higher than parallel may be too bright. The tracking force ideally needs to be somewhere in the middle of the recommended range but if too heavy could also result in a dull sound. If I cant get the sound I want after messing about with VTA and VTF then I blame the cartridge and switch to another.

Given a straight comparison of a thick record with a thin record of same material on the same deck then I would expect the thin record to sound brighter all other things being equal. Whether brighter means better will be down to your personal tastes and expectations as a listener.
    Thanks, that's a good answer. My experiences when comparing 180 gram remaster with the old pressing of the same album is not that the old pressing sounds brighter, it's that it has more sparkle. And 180 gram remaster has noticeably less sparkle, which I call dark, dull.

One explanation is that the new remaster was cut from the aged tapes, which have deteriorated over time. The old pressing was cut in the days when the master tapes were still in a good shape. Another explanation is that the new pressing plants are staffed with people who are still learning their craft on the job. Pressing an LP is not a simple 'push the button' process. It is critical to employ staff who are very skilled not only at managing and maintaining the process, but also with spotting defects and in general, doing good quality assurance.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

I think pretty much 90% of my 180/200 gm cuts are excellent. Only had a couple i,d say were disappointing. Still think the vinyl used in 50,s and early 60's was the best stuff especially for hardness and resilliannce to scratching. Have to say though my library vinyl wise has been getting smaller as i am getting infirm and using tt is difficult often. Thats sad as its still the best medium imo, at least at my pricepoint. If i could afford a chord dac i might change my mind of course. Lol. Ive collected vinyl all my life ... since i was 10 actually, and its a disease lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Another explanation for the difference in top end could be down to the tweeters in the speakers in the mastering suite.
    Abbey Road Studios have a set of B&W 801D speakers, which are reckoned by some to be a bit on the bright side.
    If someone is eq'ing the mix to sound balanced on those speakers then it might come across as dull on less upfront speakers.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Another explanation for the difference in top end could be down to the tweeters in the speakers in the mastering suite.
    Abbey Road Studios have a set of B&W 801D speakers, which are reckoned by some to be a bit on the bright side.
    If someone is eq'ing the mix to sound balanced on those speakers then it might come across as dull on less upfront speakers.
    Sounds reasonable. But wasn't the original mastering also done at the same facility? If yes, how come the old school pressings have much more sparkle than the new ones?

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Sounds reasonable. But wasn't the original mastering also done at the same facility? If yes, how come the old school pressings have much more sparkle than the new ones?
    Back then Harry Moss had the big Tannoys.
    Different beast altogether.
    Chris

Another thing to consider is that the cutting engineer would have most certainly been aware that the record would be played in the main on something like a Dansette, or a Pye Black Box.
    Any mastering would have had these rudimentary record players in mind.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast