+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to change next?

I'm Simon.

Hi Tony
    Did you listen to any speakers. If so which ones. Any good?
    Simon

I'm Tony.

Still fiddling with the MS400 as it's an opportunity to see if a capacitor replacement improves things without really risking anything. I do value the mid-range 'rightness' and the new addition of the iQAudio Dac+ has reminded me of what I like about the system and the synergy it seems to have. As I am unlikely to be moving anytime soon, when I do replace the speakers it will have to be with something that is similarly engaging.
    Only problem for me is that there aren't too many opportunities to check stuff out and I may have to take a chance in the end.
    Would quite like to hear some opinions of types such as the
    Kef LS50
    Q Acoustic Concept 20

As these seem to be the kind of thing I am looking for?
    I'm not going to start building my living accommodation around my hifi anymore, whatever I get will have to fit in with everything else. Similarly, I'm not going to start looking at rewiring the flat or an endless round of interconnect/cable evaluations. I don't have the time or inclination to do that anymore.
    I don't mind a bit of DIY on the main components as I'd like to get some experience and address my woeful soldering skills.
    Who knows, I may even stretch to a bit of speaker building at some point?

I'm Tony.

Well, months have passed and I have done a bit of noodling with various bits. My preferred source is now digital via an Allo Boss DAC (currently running in). Amplifier is currently being serviced/repaired and I have acquired what I thought would be the best option for this room, a mini-monitor style speaker in the form of the AVI NuNeutron, picked up at a reasonable price on fleabay.

I’ve spent a while playing with the AVIs, and they certainly are a very capable speaker. Tried them out in different positions and setups (standmount and 2.1 with an ok sub).

At the end of it all, I have come back to the MS 400 as my preferred setup. There is an effortless, natural sound to the MS that trumps the dynamics, detail and imaging of the AVI for me. Highly likely that I’d need a beast of an amp to get the best out of the AVI and this is unlikely to be happening soon.

May hang on to them for now as I really want to check then out with the Puccini/Allo Boss before I move them on. Definitely worth trying as it has taught me a lot about what I’m looking for, not sure if I can articulate it but I’ll know it when I hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

Which version of the MS400 are they Tony? There were ones with round bass uints and others with ellipticals. Some had KEF T15 mids and some had what I believe may have been a Peerless or Audax dome.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Which version of the MS400 are they Tony? There were ones with round bass uints and others with ellipticals. Some had KEF T15 mids and some had what I believe may have been a Peerless or Audax dome.
    I believe they are T15 mids with elliptical EMI bass.

T

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Tony.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. That is the EMI unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. That is the EMI unit.
    I know it could benefit from being in a bigger cab, but it doesn’t seem to do too bad at the moment. The speakers still seem to sound better with each source upgrade and the synergy seems good in this room.

I'm Shaun.

Demo'd the KEF LS50's before buying my current loudspeakers as an example of something completely different and they were so different I just couldn't take them seriously. Their sound is very thin with no fullness or warmth and there is what was to me a complete lack of bass. There was no way I could listen to them at the dealer for more than a minute or so. I then changed to a pair of stand mount B&W's and the midrange improved massively but still no bass. So I ended up buying my current loudspeakers which are floorstanders. Obviously everyone has very different sonic characteristics and demands from their system but you did ask for experiences of these units.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123