+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to change next?

I'm Tony.

Default What to change next?

I'm in a bit of a general quandary really..

I like the sound of the system I have right now, but I'm conscious of it's limitations and those of my current environment (having gone from a large room in a detached house to cozy apartment living).

Kit I currently have is:-

• Rega Planar 3 with RB300 and Goldring 1012GX
    • Audio Analogue Puccini SE (first model)
    • Audio Analogue Paganini CD Player
    • Mordaunt Short MS400 (vintage 70's speakers with one careful owner)

It's a lovely 'musical' system with a warm and involving character but is not at it's best in terms of detail or soundstage.

I'm told the AA Puccini is has a lot of the characteristics of a valve sound (considering it is SS) and this is something I very much like. I already know it can deliver better resolution and imaging (as it did with my previous Triangle Zephyrs).

I'm not really looking to invest more time and money on the turntable at this point as I've tweaked the Rega already and my vinyl collection is not going to grow (at this point).

I suppose I'm looking for the best bang for the buck with what is next. Problem is, I keep going back and forth between amplifier and speakers? The room size and nature of apartment living means I'm not looking for big floor standers (I tend to listen at limited volume anyway). The speakers I have are lovely and I'm wondering whether I should dip a toe into the world of valve amplification (of which I know nothing) or just change the speakers to make the most of the still very capable Puccini SE?

Questions, questions! Any input or advice as to what to do next is welcomed!

Tony

I'm Dave.

I would suggest changing the speakers will bring the biggest improvement for your money.

I'm Simon.

Yes I reckon you have answered your own question, speakers are definitely the thing to look at.

I saw you live in Maningtree which is always, I thought, a nice place. Used to take our dog for a walk over there a lot when I lived in the area.

There are not many decent hi fi dealers in Colchester anymore I don't think. Ipswich maybe, but there is martins in Norwich but I tend to think the better ones are in 'Essex boy' Essex down south if you know what I mean.

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. The MS400 may be old, but it wasn't a bad speaker at all. Is it still on its original crossover capacitors? It could be worth investigating, as old electrolytics can kill the sound of potentially decent speakers. It's a cheap and simple upgrade.

Last edited by walpurgis; 18-04-2017 at 16:44.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

As Geoff says, replace old electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers. In my view the 400's cabinets are a bit small. Larger cabinets would help, this is what I found with the version that use the EMI elliptical bass unit. There was another version that use a round bass unit. Some versions have KEF T15 tweeter, others have a soft dome unit, possibly Heco/ Peerless.
    Spendorman

I'm Tony.

These are in original spec. Elliptical bass units and original hf and super-tweeter. Will post details as I have the original docs with the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

Could be a cheap boost to the sound of your system!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Thanks all! Definitely going to look at replacing the capacitors as I'm not aware of any mods having been made. May update the speaker sockets at the same time as they are in need of it too. I remember being entranced by these speakers at their original owners around 25 years ago; would be nice to see if I can get some of that magic back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Tony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post

I have that too (and a mountain of other vintage brochures).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast