+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few picture of what I've built :)

I'm Garf.

Default A few picture of what I've built :)

Where to start..

First thing I hacked, local regs (McBride style), my NAC 32.5.

Includes a Noble pot, OSCON power rail decoupling caps to various boards.

I moved on to updating(?) a pair of Naim MC boards

BC128 caps input and output, (Avondale style), Dale RN55 cartridge load resistor, Zener reg removed, transistor ladder replaced with SD278s with matching Dale RN55 15R resistors, etc... I did put them in a box with a couple of ALWSRs.

Feedback caps now 47uf films. Beware the earth wiring is incorrect from the BNCs.

I've built and boxed a PFM Starfish. Which is based on Naim ccts, but with plenty of regulation and symmetric PSU from a DC/DC convertor.

I used this pre-amp for years. A great sound, lots of drive...only to be replaced by a PFM Bootstrap pre; fabulous cct, such a fluid pre.

Huge great 1uF Russian polystyrene caps on the input. Since those pictures were taken I've removed the output cap and added nulling pots to the cct.

Power amps wise I built a pair of Avondale Voyager mono blocks about 5-6 years ago and have never changed them.

I have modified my Acram Alpha 5 CD player. Updated various caps, disabled the output muting ccts and fitted a Flea PSU and clock.

And I've had the privilege of replacing the CD mech too..such a pain..

Oh, and I've built and use a Paradise Phono amp from DIYAudio. It replaced the 323 boards in a flash.

A bit dirty then, but much cleaner now.

And finally I built a pair of speakers from a PFM design put together by James, who has built various stunning and great sounding speakers.

Pinky and Perky...

The paint is not that pink tbh...

They are a hybrid OB design. There's more info in my signature link.

Just remembered I built an AC PSU for my LP12 based on Avondale's TAPS cct.

And a Moth RCM

And a Flexi-rack

I'm Rob.

Hi Garf, some nice stuff there. I have done a lot of this sort of stuff - very satisfying. What I did get, was some Hacker Nap boards but never got around to building it.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Garf.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Garf, some nice stuff there. I have done a lot of this sort of stuff - very satisfying. What I did get, was some Hacker Nap boards but never got around to building it.
    Thank you. Looking back it is amazing that I built all that, and a divorce in the middle of it..lol

I never built mine either I ended up selling the bare PCBs on.

I'm Peter.

Hey that's amazing audio upgrade work there, you must have great soldering skills and knowledge....!!

Respect Sir.

Regards; Peter
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Geoff.

Great stuff Garf. Well done!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread