+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a preamp please?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    There you go, Jez - that's you told. Didn't you know that balanced has two wires where single-ended has only one, so it's twice as dynamic? Looks like that squashed tomato is on yer face
    Balanced uses three wires called Hot, Cold and Ground , unbalanced two wires Signal and Ground
    Balanced is generally agreed to improve the transfer of signal by 6db

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Eee yeah and from such an "expert" hah!!
    My results speak for themselves: " One of the best preamps - full stop (and I heard a few) "

Cheers / Chris

I'm Dennis.

I think in any area of knowledge it is important to be able to distinguish the difference between a humble but knowledgable person expressing his views in a genuine, self effacing way, from those of an ignorant person, with a lack of confidence, being bullish about his knowledge.

With regard to distortion increasing dynamics, we can take a simple model and deduce the effects of distortion on dynamics.

If we take the example of a signal and introduce 1% distortion, a rather high level, (-40dB), the new signal level becomes 1.01/1 greater in magnitude. It is evident that this increase in level is very low in dB terms and probably undetectable to all.
    (I do not have a charged up logs calculator to hand, but fro memory even 1.1/1 gives only about a 1dB level increase).

WRT clipping, of course that will produce odious distortion, well understood and documented, though on the HUG site there are claims that the distortion produced by valves under clipping conditions is mellifluous to some.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    the OP wanted some recommendations for a Pre.... poor Chaps head must be spinning!
    Thanks for the sympathy.

Lots of recommendations certainly. All very interesting. Surprised as to the range of costs. From cheap £150 passives to £10k all singing works of art.

I'll get there eventually.

I'm Dennis.

Perhaps Ark, you can explain what you think I am missing.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Perhaps Ark, you can explain what you think I am missing.
    I think he's probably referring to you saying "take the example of a signal and introduce 1% distortion, a rather high level, (-40dB), the new signal level becomes 1.01/1 greater in magnitude". Distortion usually occurs because the signal cannot swing far enough, therefore squashing and reducing the waveform, rather than the waveform becoming greater in amplitude.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Balanced uses three wires called Hot, Cold and Ground , unbalanced two wires Signal and Ground
    Yes, both single-ended and balanced connections have a ground wire - no surprise there. Where the single-end connection has one wire for the signal, balanced has two - which is what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Balanced is generally agreed to improve the transfer of signal by 6db
    Where a piece of equipment has a single-end output and a balanced output the balanced output is often 6dB higher than the single-ended. I don't think that's the same as improving the transfer of the signal by 6dB. In fact, I'm not sure what "improving the transfer of the signal by 6dB" actually means. A signal-to-noise ratio improvement, maybe?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think he's probably referring to you saying "take the example of a signal and introduce 1% distortion, a rather high level, (-40dB), the new signal level becomes 1.01/1 greater in magnitude". Distortion usually occurs because the signal cannot swing far enough, therefore squashing and reducing the waveform, rather than the waveform becoming greater in amplitude.
    Spot on.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    So a friend has lent me an Azur 840e preamp and I'm blown away. Really opened up the sound, increased dynamics, fluid, fast, natural, accurate, 3d etc.

Source is digital (mainly redbook FLAC) to a NOS DAC and power amp is newly built Radford Revival STA25s driving PMC LB1 Signatures.

The band is playing in front of me in my sitting room!

I need to return the Azur 840e at some point and don't fancy going back to the passive preamp I was using (nice that it is).

So what to get?

Only need 2 or 3 line level inputs (I already have a dedicated phono stage), ideally with remote control for volume. As good as or better than the Azur 840e.

Budget - variable - lets say up to £1k. New or preloved.

cheers
    Hello. I am neither the owner nor the seller of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LFD-Linest...4?roken=cUgayN BUT I do own one and can vouch for its first-rate performance (good value at the asking price) plus the fact that the maker can and does service anything he has ever built other than replacement chips for the DAC3 and the transport / display for the Mistral CD player. Finally, the LS1 can be maker-upgraded to an LS2 and possibly the LS3 too. Anyway, I hope this help. Good hunting. Neil.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    Hello. I am neither the owner nor the seller of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LFD-Linest...4?roken=cUgayN BUT I do own one and can vouch for its first-rate performance (good value at the asking price) plus the fact that the maker can and does service anything he has ever built other than replacement chips for the DAC3 and the transport / display for the Mistral CD player. Finally, the LS1 can be maker-upgraded to an LS2 and possibly the LS3 too. Anyway, I hope this help. Good hunting. Neil.
    Thanks Neil. Very interesting. Just had a quick look at see the maker (Richard Bews) seems highly regarded. His LS3 and anniversary pres are - um - expensive.

Bit nervous buying from Poland though.

Anyway, let me look further.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast