+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quality or quantity....

I'm Steve.

Default Quality or quantity....

I recently bought a Decware superzen as I fancied a tinker with a flea powered amp as I'd read so much positive stuff about them. I also bought some highly efficient 97dB WLM speakers.
    I'm in a position where I actually quite like the sound of my leben and Audionote Es,which combined are probably worth about £1850.
    The WLM and decware combo are of a similar value.
    I've tried all variations and the Leben and WLMs are 'probably' the best all round solution(including visually!)..but above my budget.but in terms of sound quality the Decware is nicer but is limited in its volume and grip capability compared with the Leben. For 90% of my music it probably meets my power and volume requirements but now and again, when the opportunity arises, I like to wang it up.

My question is

Would you choose better sound quality with some minor volume restrictions and accept them

Or A bit more power for those 'wang it up moments' but looking at ugly speakers and a slight reduction in overall quality.

Or do I run the Decware and WLMs and buy a cheap t amp or something similar for when I want an electronica or ZZ TOP day!

I'd like to keep it all but I have to replenish our saving account.

I'm brian.

For me Steve, its sound quality everytime.

the cheap t amp sounds a good solution for those "wang" moments.

Are wang moments allowed, at your age? Be careful.

I'm Jez.

With 97dB/W speakers you shouldn't need all that much power to go loud!

A common issue is that people tend to over estimate how much power they need for "normal"/not annoying the neighbours or upsetting the missus type volumes but vastly under estimate how much is need to go really loud! 1WPC is actually amazingly loud and if averaging 1W many would want the volume turned down... to go from that to genuinely realistic volumes (if the speakers are capable of these levels) may require 300WPC!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Steve the Zen Is about 1.8 watts if memory serves correctly. My solution when I had one was to buy another and bridge them into mono. I think Steve Deckert explains how to do this on the Decware site. Think he estimates you get 6watts then. It was not the loudness issue for me it was bass grip, although I absolutely loved the little Zen. Wished I had kept one to be honest.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

danilo Guest

~6 watts /channel and a Very Nice toy.
    https://diyaudiostore.com/collection...nt=21206375620

I'm Simon.

I'd agree and say you should be able to get decent volume, but the two things you describe aren't mutually exclusive. It seems to me you want to hunt out speakers that will do both for you.

I'm Neil.

Without a doubt I pursue awesome sound at ultra-low to moderate volumes and am willing to sacrifice ultimate volume. A lot of systems require welly to come on-song more difficult to achieve an open sound when the volume is low. In anycase my amp would easily blow my Royd RR3s, they are not volume monsters.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

I have always sacrificed quantity for quality except for a mad moment or two a few years ago. Happily I am back on track and where I want to be.

I'm Timothy.

Bourney, I will take those WLM's off your hands and then you can eliminate them from the mix! Sadly, I am on the other side of the big pond....A nice problem for you to have in my opinion! Have fun!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread