+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a preamp please?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Well,
    Your perfectly entitled to your opinion, the same as I am, but as on many occasions, your black and white attitude wont discourage me, and I will continue to put my point across, whether you agree with it or not.
    I wouldn't expect anything less Anthony! One of the great attractions to audio electronic engineering is that so little is actually 100% agreed on even by engineers and for all its seeming simplicity there is layer upon layer of technical subtlety to be unwrapped!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    One of the great attractions to audio electronic engineering is that so little is actually 100% agreed on even by engineers and for all its seeming simplicity there is layer upon layer of technical subtlety to be unwrapped!
    Well, perhaps some of those technically subtle "unwrapped layers", yet to be examined, contain the answers to audio phenomena some of us experience (and can clearly hear), but which you currently can't measure, and thus automatically dismiss as "bollocks"!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I wouldn't expect anything less Anthony! One of the great attractions to audio electronic engineering is that so little is actually 100% agreed on even by engineers and for all its seeming simplicity there is layer upon layer of technical subtlety to be unwrapped!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    First of all I apologise Arkless Electronics and Rothwell Audio if my abbreviations have caused offence; that was not intended,and perhaps a bit lazy of me.

In post 45 there seems on reflection to have been a divergence on the point being discussed.

You went on to talk about clipping, a subject I was not considering. I was thinking about distortion originating within an amplifier quite other than clipping, perhaps giving the impression of greater dynamics.

What I had in mind was the peculiar results I had with my old Nelson-Jones 10+10 on one particular track by Michael Hedges. Its effect was to somehow hype and increase the sense of attack of his guitar, and in a way I have never again heard on any other system. That may have been interpreted as sounding more dynamic.

Regarding impedance match, the standard used in telecoms and in broadcasting was 600 ohms, this from transmission line theory, but it may have changed. It was based on maximum power transfer theory and avoidance of standing waves and reflections. I remember drawing the Gaussian graph of power transfer at college.
    We have 75 ohms for FM aerials.

I remember at that time, about '75, arguing with my telecoms lecturer when we introduced audio amplifiers into the source/load matching discussion, saying that with audio amplifiers we are not interested in power transfer from source to load, but that we are interested in voltage transfer to load, which we want to maximise.

I think your post 67 Rothwell Audio gives a very reasonable postulation, and it probably agrees with my 'Hedges experience'.

Punctuation can improve communication and reduce ambiguity.
    No problem Dennis

That's impedance matching yes. The now largely obsolete 600R was historically from "POTS" (plain old telephone system) and is also where we get the 0.775V 0VU standard from as it's 1mW into 600R. 75R is used in FM and TV as it's the centre impedance of a half wave dipole in free space. Mostly though 50R is used universally for RF.

An audio amp is a voltage source, ie theoretically zero output resistance, and therefore non of the generated power is dissipated in the source and all we need is to minimise the resistance of the wiring between source and load, power into the load is then of course Vsq/Rload

What you describe with the Nelson Jones (did you have the tuner as well?) has been commented upon several times over the years and could well be due to TID/TIM (a largely obsolete term these days and based on the work of Otala and Lohstro) causing a flurry of higher odd order distortion products on leading edges and hence enhancing the sense of attack... it's usually very fatiguing with longer exposure.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, perhaps some of those technically subtle "unwrapped layers", yet to be examined, contain the answers to audio phenomena some of us experience (and can clearly hear), but which you currently can't measure, and thus automatically dismiss as "bollocks"!

Marco.
    It's possible... As it's possible the Loch Ness monster will be caught and put on display

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Very wrong, ignorant of many other forms of attenuation, and thus misleading !
    Sorry, Chris. Jez is normally pulled up for this, but the language there is too confrontational, and largely responsible for provoking the heated reaction that ensued.

Please, and this applies to everyone, when challenging and/or addressing someone you think is wrong, use language unlikely to irk or cause offence to the person concerned, as you'll achieve nothing but start an argument, and most likely not of the constructive kind either.

So, people, in future.........THINK before you type! Cheers

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

It's possible... As it's possible the Loch Ness monster will be caught and put on display
    Or you banging an 18-year old blonde tonight!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Chris.

You cannot as I see it have it both ways, in one post saying "there is layer upon layer of technical subtlety to be unwrapped "
    then a few minutes latter scoff at Marco's well thought out comment, by referring to technical subtlety and what remains to be discovered, as the Loch Ness Monster.

Discovery is at the heart of every good electronics engineers methods, Mediocrity on the other hand is at the heart of those unwilling to face challenges to progress. Which do you see yourself as ?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Or you banging an 18-year old blonde tonight!

Marco.
    That is unfortunately true

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    You cannot as I see it have it both ways, in one post saying "there is layer upon layer of technical subtlety to be unwrapped "
    then a few minutes latter scoff at Marco's well thought out comment, by referring to technical subtlety and what remains to be discovered, as the Loch Ness Monster.

Discovery is at the heart of every good electronics engineers methods, Mediocrity on the other hand is at the heart of those unwilling to face challenges to progress. Which do you see yourself as ?
    Chris that is confrontational in tone. This is how pointless slanging matches start instead of some interesting discussion.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast