+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: demagnetize your Tape Heads

I'm Alan.

Default demagnetize your Tape Heads

Hi Pop pickers
    Just a bit of R2R learning see below Video of the basic procedure for demagnetizing your tape heads and guides for those who may not have done it before
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEFrZy6JQo
    http://mrltapes.com/mcknight_demag.pdf

Some important points to note!

- do not have the machine plugged in or switched on during demag
    - do not do the demagnetisation in the same room as any of your tapes or in the vicinity of anything that would be effected by a strong magnetic field.
    -Thoroughly clean all of the tape heads guides and capstan before demagnetization.
    -Use 99% isopropanol and cotton buds to clean everything and wipe from side to side on the tape heads not up and down.
    - do not touch the tape heads with the demag
    - plug the demag onto an un-switched extension lead that is known to be reliable and can not switch off during the demag process, its very important that you do not loose power whilst demagnetizing as you could leave your tape heads permanently magnetized if you do
    - make sure you are a minimum of 4 feet away from the tape heads before you switch on or off the demag unit
    - Once you switch on move very slowly into and away from the tape heads
    - I prefer to demag all the guides and capstan first then the errase head followed by the record and replay heads last
    - I have heard some distinct improvement in sound quality after demagnetization

I use one of these Han-De-mag units its expensive and an absolute animal and if you buy one make sure its the 240v version not 110v
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAN-D-MAG-...ccRbGuI3SzmHXw

But these are fine too
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-S...QAAOSwT6pVjV5g

I also have a magnetic flux indicator for checking my tape heads and only demag when there is a reading
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAN-D-MAG-...owZWfK6jU9so9Q

Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 23-07-2017 at 09:49.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use an old Wright & Weaire (Ferrograph) head defluxer. Think I paid about £25 for it. I like it because it has an on/off button integral with the coil.

http://www.mullardmagic.co.uk/ferrog...er-1950s-boxed

(Mine is newer looking than this: it has the Ferrograph sage green coloured housing.)
    Last edited by Barry; 17-04-2017 at 17:24. Reason: image added
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Barry yes Ferrograph made some nice equipment, I bought a lovely distortion analyser from them recently

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

Just a bit more info on this subject from MRL who do know a thing or two about tape

Alan

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Just a bit more info on this subject from MRL who do know a thing or two about tape

Alan
    Thanks for posting this but I have to admit I stopped reading when I reached this statement in the heading of the piece.

" Here is what we think we know "
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Charlie.

Cas,

Whilst people might argue over how often this needs doing, I don't think that may would argue that it damaging the heads and tape guides intermittently. The problem is that metal components esp tape guides and the heads can get magnetised by the travel of the tape. If there is a small magnetic field in the tape path, this can lead to losing some subtle loss of the high freq signal on your precious tape. That may not matter, if it's just your mix tape sourced from other media, but it does matter if it's a precious master tape.

Charlie

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Cas,

Whilst people might argue over how often this needs doing, I don't think that may would argue that it damaging the heads and tape guides intermittently. The problem is that metal components esp tape guides and the heads can get magnetised by the travel of the tape. If there is a small magnetic field in the tape path, this can lead to losing some subtle loss of the high freq signal on your precious tape. That may not matter, if it's just your mix tape sourced from other media, but it does matter if it's a precious master tape.

Charlie
    I hear what you say but.................
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm openingabottleofwine.

But what about the 20uT of the Earths magnetic field?
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Thanks for posting this but I have to admit I stopped reading when I reached this statement in the heading of the piece.

" Here is what we think we know "
    Cas
    Of course Demagnetisation is completely optional and there are obviously lots of conflicting views on this subject.
    I always do when I get a new recorder and then periodically after that but not rigidly to any hours count.
    I have a least on 2 occasions cured audible noise on playback of 2 different machines so in my mind I know it can work.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Cas
    Of course Demagnetisation is completely optional and there are obviously lots of conflicting views on this subject.
    I always do when I get a new recorder and then periodically after that but not rigidly to any hours count.
    I have a least on 2 occasions cured audible noise on playback of 2 different machines so in my mind I know it can work.
    To me this sounds like a sensible option, if you are hearing recording problems that were not there before then hit it with the demagnatizer, or if
    it is an old machine give it a demagnatize before using it for the first time.

Life really is to short to follow a process every so many hours that after reading loads about still sits in the demag or not to demag camps.

Akai 4000DS MkII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast