+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldfrapp Fans - new 2017 album any good?

I'm Simon.

Default Goldfrapp Fans - new 2017 album any good?

Listened to this off of tidal when it came out, but can't say I thought it hugely impressive.

Compared to albums like tales of us and felt mountain, it's a bit of a let down. But maybe a departure or a different style because if you keep doing the same album over and over again (e.g. Coldplay) I geuss you don't become very original and inventive anymore.

I'll have to have another listen as maybe it needs to grow on me a bit. But anyone else have a view on this as a Goldfrapp fan?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Listened to this off of tidal when it came out, but can't say I thought it hugely impressive.

Compared to albums like tales of us and felt mountain, it's a bit of a let down. But maybe a departure or a different style because if you keep doing the same album over and over again (e.g. Coldplay) I geuss you don't become very original and inventive anymore.

I'll have to have another listen as maybe it needs to grow on me a bit. But anyone else have a view on this as a Goldfrapp fan?
    I have read online a number of people saying the digital version isn't very good sound wise, and that the vinyl transfer is superior. I was in Belfast last week and after seeing the first part of Jools Hollands Later show (Goldfrapp were part of it) I decided to buy the vinyl version first, but I haven't listened to it yet so I have no opinion regarding either sound quality of the musical content.

I thought Goldfrap's performance on Jools show was good, but I can't help but feel that Alison did not look herself at all, my view is she looked ill. Now I have no idea if that is the case but I didn't think Alison looked well.

Regarding music on that Jools Holland Later show I think Thundercat and Anderson Paak and the Free Nationals were stunning the highlight of the evenings music.

My favourite Goldfrapp albums are Black Cherry, Felt Mountain, Head First and Tales of Us. Saw them live touring with Supernature, fabulous gig.

If you like Goldfrapp you should try Rosin Murphy ex of Moloko.
    Regards Neil

I'm Simon.

That must have been very interesting going to see jools holland and Goldfrapp on it. I've never been to a tv music show.

I think I maybe need to listen to it again to form a view of whether I like it against felt mountain etc. I went to see Goldfrapp at the Albert hall when she did tales of us and that was a very haunting concert.

I'd did like black cherry but it's off the beaten track of what they normally do but I'd put the seventh tree album up with tales of us. But my favourite is definetely felt mountain. I remember listening to felt mountainin in a Swiss ski resort once (adelboden) with a load of people, with the sun setting on the mountain behind us. And I always think of that scene when I put this album on.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    That must have been very interesting going to see jools holland and Goldfrapp on it. I've never been to a tv music show.

I think I maybe need to listen to it again to form a view of whether I like it against felt mountain etc. I went to see Goldfrapp at the Albert hall when she did tales of us and that was a very haunting concert.

I'd did like black cherry but it's off the beaten track of what they normally do but I'd put the seventh tree album up with tales of us. But my favourite is definetely felt mountain. I remember listening to felt mountainin in a Swiss ski resort once (adelboden) with a load of people, with the sun setting on the mountain behind us. And I always think of that scene when I put this album on.
    Sorry you misunderstand I saw them on TV, but live a number of years ago touring with the Supernature album.

Strict Machine was my entry point to Goldfrapp. I stumbled across it, loved it, bought the Black Cherry album it came from and fell in love with their sound, and Alison's voice. Felt Mountain I came to later, but as much of it was used for TV commercials, backing I did recognise some of it.

That sounds very nice. At one time I would love to have gone to the Cafe Del Mar and experienced the whole vibe of that but I think Jose Padilla was the best period and thus I would need a Tardis now.
    Regards Neil

I'm Simon.

Will try that album you suggested. Thank you. Agnes obel from last year - citizen of glass, is very good female vocal album.

I'm Josie.

I love it... Got it on preorder.

I think it's a really well put together LP and kind of mixes previous styles.

I am however a little bit disappointed with the signed copies, it's just another booklet found in the cd version, so now I've got two booklets.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I love it... Got it on preorder.

I think it's a really well put together LP and kind of mixes previous styles.

I am however a little bit disappointed with the signed copies, it's just another booklet found in the cd version, so now I've got two booklets.
    Ditto

I'm Dan.

Bought after seeing the performance on Jools

Very nice listen - I have no problems with SQ this end if anything i think its rather well put together the bass is also quiet low...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

+ Reply to Thread