+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impedance Matching/Mismatch

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Would a passive pre solve this at all (I would assume not with there being no active circuitry but I'm not really sure)?
    The tape output of your pre-amp may put out a lower signal level than what comes in. At least, that wouldn't be impossible.
    If the passive replaced your active pre-amp and it simply routed the signal from the DAC out to the headphone amp, no it wouldn't be a solution. A pair of attenuators world be a solution.
    BTW, I notice the Asgard 2 has a high/low gain switch on the back. Does yours? If so, have you got it set to low gain?

I'm Jez.

It's possible but unlikely that the tape outs would be at a lower level than the input. A Passive pre WOULD be a solution to the problem as would attenuators as they do exactly the same job in exactly the same way. Neither should be required though. I mentioned the low/high gain switch in my last post....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I mentioned the low/high gain switch in my last post....
    Yes, sorry, I didn't see your last post - we must have been typing at the same time.

I'm Simon.

The Asgard mk1 doesn't have the low/gain switch. Good to hear a passive could solve this, that way I can kill 2 birds and see if it'll work in place of my active in the system at the same time. If not, will try some attenuators.

A big thanks for your help guys, I will report back when I have an update.

I'm Andrew.

A Passive pre WOULD be a solution to the problem as would attenuators as they do exactly the same job in exactly the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Good to hear a passive could solve this, that way I can kill 2 birds and see if it'll work in place of my active in the system at the same time.
    I think you may have misunderstood what Jez and I were saying. I think Jez's comment above refers to using a passive pre-amp in addition to your active pre-amp to reduce the signal level going to the headphone amp. He's not talking about swapping the active pre-amp for a passive one and feeding the headphone amp from the passive pre-amp's tape outputs.

Just get a pair of attenuators and the problem is solved.

I'm Jez.

I was referring to replacing the active pre amp with a passive and using the main outputs, not the tape out, to drive the headphone amp.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Neil.

Simon try a different make of interconnect between the DAC and the headphone amp.
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable, SME 5 tonearm, VDH MC10 cartridge, Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable, Triplannar 7 tonearm, VDH Frog Gold cartridge, Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm Andrew.

I was referring to replacing the active pre amp with a passive and using the main outputs, not the tape out, to drive the headphone amp.
    Ah yes, that would make sense.

I'm Simon.

That's what I'm thinking to try. I don't think many passives have tape outs, from those I've seen/read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Simon try a different make of interconnect between the DAC and the headphone amp.
    I don't have many different interconnects around but I did try 4 different ones and no luck (Van Damme, Klotz MC500 and Mark Grant's Canare & G1000HD).

I'm Jez.

There is still something not right here whatever "cure" is used.... No modern amp should be overloaded by a CD player (or other digital source with 2V output) as this is the de facto "standard" input these days! As with many such problems it would no doubt be obvious within a few minutes what the issue is if I was there with my test gear but diagnosis via internet is another matter!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast