Closed Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: I feel terrible....... Trolls on Forums

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not in its most serious form. Nothing like the type of trolling Simon's suffered from, which makes what I experienced pale into insignificance!

More like the forum clique ganging up on me, some of whom were still carrying age-old grudges, from spats we'd had before, which in many cases was completely unjustified, aided and abetted by certain mods who were part of the same clique. The new owner wanted to wipe the slate clean, but some dinosaurs, more interested in protecting their best interests, didn't see it that way.

Anyway, as I no longer wish my recent experience there to be mentioned, and with it the likelihood of discussing WW in a negative light, that's the last now on that particular topic.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    If you actually walk away from the trolling and don't look back, as is always the temptation, then the words cannot hurt you. Return to the scene and they will hurt all over again, and if you are prone to fragility then you are doing yourself damage.
    Yes, I totally *GET* that, and to an extent agree, but *why* should the trolls simply be allowed to get away with their disgraceful behaviour?? They are total scum - and scumbags need punished.

I think where we're largely in disagreement is that, for you, the Internet is not the real world, but for me it most certainly is, in terms of the effect what's written there can have on people's lives. Look at how many kids, for example, have committed suicide, as a result of trolling behaviour and abuse on social media.

Forums such as this are a form of social media, so the net effect of trolling for some is the same, as ably demonstrated by Simon's story.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting... There was a guy called 'Blzebub' (you'll know him), real name James McPeake, and one of those arrogant and blinkered objectivists who populate forums, seeking to target and ridicule those he resented, who was once my arch enemy, similar to someone else you also know, and who used to be on the old Naim and Mana forum, Zerogain, and and latterly pfm, 'poking' me continually, being personally abusive on a regular basis, and overall a persistent irritant. In those days forums weren't as strictly moderated as they are now, so he got away with it.

I knew exactly where he lived in Glasgow, because I'd visited him, to hear his system before, shall we say, 'relations deteriorated' and he carried out his campaign of vilification and harassment, all because I'd dared to stand up to him and give him a taste of his own medicine (one thing bullies like him absolutely hate).

Anyway, it got so bad that to stop him I had two options: 1) go round to his house and give him the smack in the mouth, which he so richly deserved, but I decided he wasn't worth getting into trouble for, or 2) report his dubious 'on-line activities', during working hours to his employers, and rely on them taking a very dim view of that. I certainly wasn't just going to put up with his persecution forever. Why should I...?

It was no secret he was a liver consultant for the NHS (as he'd told everyone that), and I found out he worked at the RAH hospital in Paisley, just outside of Glasgow. Therefore, I wrote a politely worded letter to the head of the personnel department, including evidence of saved screen shots of the content and time of his posts on the aforementioned forums, and worded the letter in the strongest of terms that as a tax payer, I was utterly appalled at essentially paying for this idiot to abuse me, although I of course put it rather differently!

I received written confirmation of my letter, along with the assurance that they'd taken the matter very seriously and would look into it further and get back to me, which they later did and told me that they had dealt with Mr McPeake, in line with their disciplinary procedure, which was satisfying.

For a while, the abuse stopped, as whatever his bosses had done had the net effect of 'clipping his wings', but as you can imagine he was absolutely livid with me for reporting him to his employers, as his previous unblemished record there was no more.

Anyway, this particular cowardly troll we're discussing aside, I should state publicly, here and now, that I would not hesitate for one second taking the same action against anyone else guilty of the same form of harassment, and trust me, if the motivation is there, it's not difficult to find out where someone works, and then report those guilty to their employers, as due payback.

These lily-livered scum need to know that, sooner or later, they will face the consequences for their actions, and that in order to stop them, I will take it as far as I can legally go, in order to ensure that they receive their comeuppance. To facilitate that aim, I have saved screen shots of every abusive forum post directed at me by certain individuals, including dates and times, the contents of which will be used as evidence to support my case to their employers - and then we'll see what happens.

Marco.

I think that's admirable Marco but I would be a bit careful especially if you are dealing with people who have probably got resources like a doctor etc, and probably have solicitor friends. If it came to him being able to show that your actions caused him loosing his job, granted it's down to him, he could potentially go down the libel/slander route.

The best thing surely for trolls is a good and serious police reporting thing that is taken seriously, and if not take up with the police. It's probably the case the police don't bother so to get people to take trolling seriously it's probably a case of rallying police, if ever the issue was to be looked at properly and if people want to go that far. Or maybe go to a charity etc that do that for you. Also going to an employer they probably just don't care especially if he does a good job which is likely otherwise why is he still there.

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I totally *GET* that, and to an extent agree, but *why* should the trolls simply be allowed to get away with their disgraceful behaviour? These are total scum - and scumbags need punished.

Marco.
    Not allowing them to get away with it...by shopping them to their employer or punching them on the nose or whatever is revenge, so we are back there on that rotation. Simon doesn't seem like that type so walking is the onlynoption.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    If you actually walk away from the trolling and don't look back, as is always the temptation, then the words cannot hurt you. Return to the scene and they will hurt all over again, and if you are prone to fragility then you are doing yourself damage.
    And the trolls then move onto another victim, emboldened by getting away with their antics unchallenged. Somebody sometime needs to take them down. Tackling trolls and bullies is not a sign of fragility, it's a sign of strength IMO.

For me, their disgraceful behaviour needs stopping by whatever legal means best achieves that. As they say: 'all's fair in love and war'...

I'm a different type from Simon, so I have other options than just walking, which for me does nothing to STOP the SOURCE of the problem - and as with hi-fi, I always tackle problems *at source*!

I'm not the type to become emotionally 'damaged' from trolling behaviour against me, so I'd rather take the route of being the one who will ultimately do the damaging [not in a physical sense, though]...

Ultimately, I derive great satisfaction from FORCING trolls to stop what they're doing, as I *know* just how much that irks them!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    And the trolls then move onto another victim, emboldened by getting away with their antics unchallenged. Somebody sometime needs to take them down. Tackling trolls and bullies is not a sign of fragility, it's a sign of strength IMO.
    Hear, hear!

In reference to the bit in bold, I simply don't believe in allowing that to happen.

Marco.
    Main System

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I never said it was a sign of fragility, more that if you are fragile then going back for 'one more look' is deadly.

That's fine then, Milo, as "fragile" is something I'm certainly not!

I just *insist* on being treated civilly, on-line or off-line, as in real life that's what I'm accustomed to, as indeed I am being surrounded by kind and considerate people. Therefore, anything else is a complete anathema, so I simply won't entertain living in the cruel and nasty world that these trolls consider as the norm!

Anyway, I think we've just about covered this now, so let's move on

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dennis.

I am as already stated I believe not clear, despite looking it up, what a troll is.

But dealing with bullying on forums, or any from of such in argument where someone is abusive because my expressed understanding or opinion differs, my strategy is rather different.

My inclination is to disprove what I see as a false statement if I can do so, illustrating my stance with reasoning, and then ask for a refutation of my reasoning and view, or a retort disproving me.

Eventually either the truth will out, one of us being wrong, or one person will be seen as too thick to understand the problem, and that will be evident to all who can understand.

In the case of denigration of my views, or insults, I would just cerebrally point out that this behaviour does nothing but make the perpetrator look rude, and then not respond further.

I have done this successfully several times to the Sales Director I mentioned earlier, and it is possible to feel his realisation of his foolishness, and also the reaction of the other members to his exposure.
    His hackles rise now when I post, and though supressed, he squirms a little.

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast