+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contemporary pressings suck?

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    There's quite a lot of debate on the web, e.g. http://www.vinylspin.ca/blog/does-di...y-sound-better

I like the comment that it takes a 'village' to make a successful record. There are skills there that may well now be in short supply.

I agree about the mastering ... GIGO ... garbage in, garbage out. If the source material is crap, then the whole process is hobbled from the start.
    I like this one :
    "A heavier pressed record will resist some of the micro movements created by a stylus surfing through the grooves"
    is he for real , use clamp then ?
    I do agree about 180/200g being better when it comes to warping , packaging , transport and any thermal and mechanically induced damage , that's all , why would they sound different when there is not difference in the geometry of the groove.Mastering IMO makes all the difference

I'm Simon.

I think it's just that original pressings are hard to beat, for a number of reasons (fresh tapes, all analogue chain, etc). The biggest thing for me is the mastering, I think a lot of LP's cut today are just not mastered well enough. I have been very impressed with the recent Rush reissues, they don't quite beat originals (at least the ones I've got to compare) but they come very close and are superbly mastered by Sean Magee. The 2014 Iron Maiden reissues are well mastered and cut too, again not quite upto an original cut but very well done. Same with the recent Floyd. There are diamonds out there for sure.

I'm Grant.

the recent Sinatra reissues are mostly very good too, although the top original pressings can be stunning too. especially the capitol releases. IVE A LOT OF THE 180 GM ONES AND DONT THINK PRESS WISE THERE IS DUFF ONE THERE(excuse caps)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

I think the hype about 180gm vinyl is a red herring. As has been stated, it might be good for warp resistance but other than that it is just a way to use up more raw material and to jack prices up.
    I've got so many fantastic sounding, wafer thin pressings from the oil crisis '70's that put modern day records to shame. RCA Dynaflex for instance - first press Ziggy Stardust is dead silent and dynamic. I think that probably a lot of experience in record production has gone by the wayside.
    I feel sorry for younger people who are starting getting into buying records. A case in point - a while back I heard a Spoon issue of Ege Bamyasi by Can. I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded like a poor transfer from a cassette. It was utter shite! No comparison to an original UA pressing but people are being fobbed off with sub standard product.
    I'm always amazed at how good old second hand records can sound. I'm wary of reissues and always try to get the original. Gets a bit expensive though sometimes
    Simon.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    I think the hype about 180gm vinyl is a red herring. As has been stated, it might be good for warp resistance but other than that it is just a way to use up more raw material and to jack prices up.
    I've got so many fantastic sounding, wafer thin pressings from the oil crisis '70's that put modern day records to shame. RCA Dynaflex for instance - first press Ziggy Stardust is dead silent and dynamic. I think that probably a lot of experience in record production has gone by the wayside.
    I feel sorry for younger people who are starting getting into buying records. A case in point - a while back I heard a Spoon issue of Ege Bamyasi by Can. I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded like a poor transfer from a cassette. It was utter shite! No comparison to an original UA pressing but people are being fobbed off with sub standard product.
    I'm always amazed at how good old second hand records can sound. I'm wary of reissues and always try to get the original. Gets a bit expensive though sometimes
    These are my impressions too. My only reservation is that 180 gram vinyl may sound problematic on my turntable because I'm using Rega RB300 tonearm, and have no way to adjust VTA. While thin LPs sound mostly fantastic on my TT, these 180 gram LPs sound dull. Could VTA be the culprit?

Other than that, I'm with you. Those old original pressings from the 60s, 70s and the 80s are mostly stunning. I was listening to Joni Mitchell's original pressing of "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" and was blown away by the rip-your-head-off dynamics (especially the ending part of "Paprika Plains"). I've never heard anything coming even close to such dynamics on any digital format.

Luckily, I got this LP at the record fair last weekend for one buck! Washed it and vacuumed it and it sounds squeaky clean now. Bwahahahaha!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    There's quite a lot of debate on the web, e.g. http://www.vinylspin.ca/blog/does-di...y-sound-better

I like the comment that it takes a 'village' to make a successful record. There are skills there that may well now be in short supply.

I agree about the mastering ... GIGO ... garbage in, garbage out. If the source material is crap, then the whole process is hobbled from the start.
    It stands to reason that if the industry that was painstakingly built over decades gets destroyed, you cannot one morning wake up and restart it cold. Many record pressing plants went out of business, got rid of the equipment and the staff got laid off 30 years ago. Today, very few people still retain skills needed for making sure LPs are being pressed correctly. It will take a little bit of re-learning to get back to the level of old glorious days when turntable was king!

I find it interesting how in discussing these things, most people are thinking with emotions. In other words, if a person is vested in the digital format, then they claim that all these debates are just an urban myth, and that there is no way that LPs could ever sound better than digital. And vice versa -- people who have vested in LPs are adamant that digital format is inferior.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12