+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jazz at the pawnshop (sort of)

I'm Barry.

Default intimate recordings

Hmmm, all great recommendations. With jazz, there are an awful lot of intimate records, though most are probably not as vividly recorded at 'Pawnshop'. Here's a few that come to mind for me and (almost) all jazz:

Jimmy Rowles: The Special Magic of Jimmy Rowles (piano and bass; recorded at friend's apartment in New York; music for the afterlight of a candle)
    Dexter Gordon's later records, especially live, do a little research first (I like Lullaby for a Monster and The Shadow of Your Smile, both on Steeplechase)
    Bill Evans: Tokyo Concert (many are familiar with his great River-sides, but this is a nice, contemplative record)
    Ellis Larkins: Manhattan at Midnight (pno)
    same: Gregory's Presents a Concert Recording of Ellis Larkins and Al Hall (private recording issued by the night club Gregory's; piano and bass; also, while not common but, not all that hard to find either)
    Anything by Paul Desmond with Jim Hall
    Gerry Mulligan: Night Lights (also a terrific recording)

non-jazz, singer-songwriter (I hate that descriptor):

Townes Van Zandt Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas

Best,
    Barry

PS: someone recommended Tom Waits and I agree, not from the same record but, youtube his tunes "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You", "Martha", and "Heart of Saturday Night", all quite intimate.

I'm David.

I'd recommend Carmen Gomes Thousand Shades of Blue Sound Liaison. Recorded at ‘Studio Eleven’, Hilversum, The Netherlands, in front of a live audience on September 15, 2012. Stunning recording - only heard downloads and don't know what physical media it's available on.
    DGP

I'm Adam.

Horace Silver - Doin' the thing
    any Art Pepper Live, there are a few.
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down (Live)
    Tubby Hayes - Down in the Village (live at Ronnies)

I appreciate how well Arne Domnérus Jazz at the Pawn shop disc was recorded and cut but the material is pretty...Meh! IMHO
    Tin Hat on and ready!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Jazz at the Prawnshop - hmmm I like prawns - yes it's well recorded but you'd never confuse it with a Blue Note recording .... my wife calls it 'white people's jazz' and always gives me a hard time if I put it on (I have both sets on vinyl). I can't help thinking of that Steve Martin film 'The Jerk ...

Funnily enough I'm in Stockholm next week for work but the first time I went there I looked out 'Stampen' the nightclub in the old bit of town where the albums were recorded, unfortunately no jazz only a so-so kind of sub-Abba-ish local pop band (thankfully free entry). I was a bit disappointed.

I'm Adam.

Prawns are very nice.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12