+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Film on HiFi in 1959

I'm Martin.

Default BBC Film on HiFi in 1959

Probably been seen on AOS before, but don't you just love old TV material about HiFi. I still remember these shops around 1960 and trips down to them to see what was new........

Beards and those black framed glasses are so in fashion today along with valves although the chassis are somewhat more elegant.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-film-audiophiles-in-1959-masterpiece

Enjoy......
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Martyn.

I have seen this before.
    Wonderful...

I'm Alan.

Excellent ! love it, thanks for sharing

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Dave.

Brilliant. Takes me back to the days when I longed for but couldn't afford a top notch Hi-Fi system. The shop interiors and the comparator at Largs Hi-Fi shop stirred up memories of being told to "come back when you have the money".

I'm Geoff.

Not only was I born in this year but I lived around the corner from some of the big electronics component shops in London's Edgware Road (i.e. Smiths and Henry's). Smiths has been demolished to make way for a new development but Henry's still appears to be going strong if the current Google street view can be believed. I remember being fascinated by these places even before i developed a serious interest in hifi in my early teens. Yes, there was always a crowd of odd looking men gathered outside these two stores peering in lasciviously at the freshly installed valves, oscilloscopes, and various items of military surplus electronics. I remember that Henry's used to have a lot of kit designs such as hifi amplifiers. I also remember seeing the early Sinclair products given pride of place in the windows of these two shops.

Neither of these stores sold much upmarket hifi gear but they were surrounded by a number of regular hif stores, not least a branch of Laskys.

I wonder now what creations emerged from the components purchased in these two iconic stores?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    the big electronics component shops in London's Edgware Road (i.e. Smiths and Henry's)

Geoff
    I was in Smiths and Henry's regularly. I still have my 1971 Smiths catalogue. It's a good source of info. RTVC were located in Edgware Road too, I bought a lot of speaker drive units from there and from the others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Which Tannoy's are those, shown towards the end of the film?

S.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Not only was I born in this year but I lived around the corner from some of the big electronics component shops in London's Edgware Road (i.e. Smiths and Henry's). Smiths has been demolished to make way for a new development but Henry's still appears to be going strong if the current Google street view can be believed. I remember being fascinated by these places even before i developed a serious interest in hifi in my early teens. Yes, there was always a crowd of odd looking men gathered outside these two stores peering in lasciviously at the freshly installed valves, oscilloscopes, and various items of military surplus electronics. I remember that Henry's used to have a lot of kit designs such as hifi amplifiers. I also remember seeing the early Sinclair products given pride of place in the windows of these two shops.

Neither of these stores sold much upmarket hifi gear but they were surrounded by a number of regular hif stores, not least a branch of Laskys.

I wonder now what creations emerged from the components purchased in these two iconic stores?

Geoff

Yes Henry's I remember well.
    Edgeware Road and Lisle Street were great places for picking up ex military radio communication stuff (I was also a radio amateur) and built quite a few radios etc... Simple happy days.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post

S.
    Tannoy Canterbury (?)
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post

S.
    If I could see that clip I might be able to guess. But none of my browsers will play it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast