+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus experience

I'm Adrian.

Default Tinnitus experience

So for some unknown reason I've been suffering from low level reactive tinnitus AND evil hyperacusis for the last year.

(I have a theory based on speaking with my pharmacist - most antibiotics are otoxic and I was on a bad one for 3 months - never take an antibiotic with a name ending in xacin, norfloxacin for example)

To be honest it hasn't interfered with my listening pleasure for about 6 months (the first 6 months was a learning curve of understanding what made the problem worse) - as long as I've taken precautions not to trigger them (loud screechy noises beforehand, no marijuana) but that hasn't always been possible and the hyperacusis has really been a problem out in the street and at work so I've tried everything from chewing Turmeric powder to all the quack remedies out there as well as wearing ear plugs 24/7 unless in the house.

Well I've finally found a combination of medication that has reduced the tinnitus to the point where I'm not aware of it unless I listen for it, and the hyperacusis is reduced and tolerable.

After researching and researching I first put myself on Neurontin (gabapentin) which improved things 50% - but after 6 weeks I also put myself on Tegretol (carbamazepine). Both these drugs are anti epileptic and also used for facial neuralgia. They stop nerves getting overexcited. This has improved things another 40%, though I've only been on them a few days.

Now I'm lucky in that I can get these without having to try and convince a doctor that they might help an ear problem that drives you to suicide - but it really should be discussed with a doctor before trying them, they have side effects though I haven't experienced any, and you have to avoid alcohol. The reason why they can be dangerous is the way that Tegretol speeds up the metabolism of the liver meaning any other meds you might be on are got rid of quicker, so dosages need to be adjusted. This has to be discussed with your doctor.

So - they have worked at reducing my problems 90% - problems that unless you've experienced them you cannot understand - particularly the hyperacusis which has changed my personality and destroyed my social life. I haven't discussed it with a doctor (bad boy) but I'm not on any other medication - and to be honest I'll take the risk if it gives me my life and my love of sound back.

Adey
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Rob.

Hi Adey, I have been suffering with Tinnitus for about 2 years. However it has increased markedly since I had my ears cleaned out in January. I used to have them done once a year (prob for the last 10 years - which they say can increase the risk) as I am a very light sleeper and wore ear plugs every night. It was my right ear that blocked up first as I am told I have a narrower canal in that ear. During the day it is not too much of a problem, but when noise levels lower (evenings) it becomes more pronounced. I have a high pitched whistling noise/signal whine which is like the sounds made by our old HMV radiogram (when I was a boy) when tuning the radio. Thankfully it does not affect my listening to my hifi, although I am much more careful about how loud I listen these days. has anyone had produced a hearing aid which is able to filter out Tinnitus, in the same way that noise cancelling headphones work?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

Had tinnitus half my life... was maddening for a good long time, but i got used to it, and it did reduce slightly too. A night i used to use a personal cassette player at a low level worked well at time. I use tv now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Adey, I have been suffering with Tinnitus for about 2 years. However it has increased markedly since I had my ears cleaned out in January. I used to have them done once a year (prob for the last 10 years - which they say can increase the risk) as I am a very light sleeper and wore ear plugs every night. It was my right ear that blocked up first as I am told I have a narrower canal in that ear. During the day it is not too much of a problem, but when noise levels lower (evenings) it becomes more pronounced. I have a high pitched whistling noise/signal whine which is like the sounds made by our old HMV radiogram (when I was a boy) when tuning the radio. Thankfully it does not affect my listening to my hifi, although I am much more careful about how loud I listen these days. has anyone had produced a hearing aid which is able to filter out Tinnitus, in the same way that noise cancelling headphones work?
    Ditch the ear plugs your ears need to breath literally you will be damming up the wax. To help with your sleep try relaxation techniques works brilliantly for me one of my neighbours gets annoyed with kids playing football in the street when he wants a kip in the evening I dont even notice and sleep through it.

Tinnitus is a symptom so whether it can be filtered out could depend on the cause. Never imagined it was possible. I think wearing ear protection in noisy environments would help, mine increases with exposure to noise.

I'm Dennis.

I've had tinnitus for about 20 years, and it is in my case stress linked.

Its origins must I think be callously abusing my hearing in youth; Chislehurst caves pop, tape azimuth alignment at too higher level 10kHz in right ear - where it appears now, and using some pulse detection headphones whilst searching for lines when working in telecoms. These latter in an ambient noise level sometimes of 105dB, and the headset producing up to 131.5dB.

I also when stressed after heavy weight training, get the sound of a Colchester student lathe gearbox in my left ear. Hyperacusis does occur, seemingly randomly, and can make me jump. Also my personal 'gain' seems to drift from day to day, and I find that if I have a bout of colitis/IBS, that can make it worse.

It is similar to the above description of radio noise, but more like a 10k sine wave.

I am not a fan of prescription drugs and believe that doctors, and indeed the NHS is in the pay of drug companies. There are many myths about their innocuous usage, and also side effects.

I am not a fan of earplugs in many situation because they can be mechanically moved and suck and push on the eardrums, and I also wonder about splashing water into the canals when rinsing in a bath, surely that must produce a high spl.

I'm Grant.

mine is like a crt scan line rate... probably a little lower but not much. 15kh I'd guess. Its fairly annoying tonight, and i find it is advanced by sinus pressure.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    mine is like a crt scan line rate... probably a little lower but not much. 15kh I'd guess.
    I checked my hearing using a steady and sweep tone CD a while ago. I can't discern anything above about 9kHz. Funny thing is, the music still sounds just fine to me. This makes me think of the 'supertweeter principle'. Even if you can't hear high frequencies, you'll notice if they are missing.

(oh and I had a bit of tinnitus today, a high frequency ticking in the left lughole for a while)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

It's those cheap speaker s mate
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A couple of places you might like on this subject ... 1, is the American Tinnitus Assoc
    https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/symptoms

and an interesting one on the Mandella effect
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopher...mKO#.rwKonAa2E (see what I did there )
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    Ditch the ear plugs your ears need to breath literally you will be damming up the wax. To help with your sleep try relaxation techniques works brilliantly for me one of my neighbours gets annoyed with kids playing football in the street when he wants a kip in the evening I dont even notice and sleep through it.

Tinnitus is a symptom so whether it can be filtered out could depend on the cause. Never imagined it was possible. I think wearing ear protection in noisy environments would help, mine increases with exposure to noise.
    David, I haven't used ear plugs for about 2 years. I have had high BP on an off for years, I have now been prescribed meds which it says you can experience ringing in the ears! double whammy . I have only been on them for about a month and my Tinnitus started way before that, maybe due to high BP and stress. Thankfully it does not affect my sleep.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast