+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted - First Watt F5 good DIY build

lordmortlock Guest

Default Wanted - First Watt F5 good DIY build

I’d like to try a well built F5 power amp in my system as an alternative to valves. Does anyone have one that they’d like to sell please?

Thanks, jake

montesquieu Guest

I have one of these on the way for the study ... 20w seemingly based on a Pass Alpeh circuit. The Valab stuff is invariably good quality. I intend to post findings.

It's taking an extra couple of weeks to arrive at they had to install 240v mains transformers to replace the 220v ones it comes with.

I wondered after I placed the order (another case of buy first, research later I do this too often) whether it's quite kosher - it could be exploiting Pass IP ... but too late now it's on its way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-Audio-...EAAOSwB09YG6R0

lordmortlock Guest

Look forward to the write up Tom! Looks like a neat little unit.

I'm Clive.

I'm very interested to know how this works out too.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Mike.

And me!

I'm Lawrence.

+1

lordmortlock Guest

Don’t let Jerry see this. He HATES the Aleph 3!

Whilst we’re on the topic of Chinese ‘clones’ ... this is on my watch list.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122013374050
    Last edited by lordmortlock; 27-12-2017 at 20:46.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have one of these on the way for the study ... 20w seemingly based on a Pass Alpeh circuit. The Valab stuff is invariably good quality. I intend to post findings.

It's taking an extra couple of weeks to arrive at they had to install 240v mains transformers to replace the 220v ones it comes with.

I wondered after I placed the order (another case of buy first, research later I do this too often) whether it's quite kosher - it could be exploiting Pass IP ... but too late now it's on its way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LP-Audio-...EAAOSwB09YG6R0
    Did they agree to make 240v transformers, I'm surprised they didn't fob you off by saying 220v makes no difference?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Did they agree to make 240v transformers, I'm surprised they didn't fob you off by saying 220v makes no difference?
    I've dealt with Kevin at Valab in Taiwan before quite a few times both for bits and pieces and for full components. The last big item I bought was a DHT preamp which I asked to be 240v, and as with this new item, it was modified for UK voltage before shipping. When testing it out for me, Graeme 'Valvebloke' said it was spot on for 240v operation and he said he was quite impressed with how it was done.

And yes, Kevin did get his supplier to make 240v transformers which he then fitted and tested before shipping out, he said his transformer suppliers were familiar with the procedure as he had just done the same for a regular customer in Australia. At no extra charge incidentally. Genunely impressive. As I say this is Taiwan we are talking about not China, the business aproach is far more like you get in Japan than on the Chinese mainland.

Just checked the tracking btw I think it's in the UK but not through customs yet, not sure what my chances are for getting it this week.

I'm Alan.

Looks rather good Tom, dual mono to boot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast