+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sansui PM series speakers?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A lot depends on the kit you are using them with, don't ask me why because I don't see how there can be such big variations in the balance between carts and phonostages and so forth but there are. Room will affect it as well, mine is pretty well damped.

These sort of speakers don't go low with any sort of power behind them so that in itself will give a toppy balance. That was why I used mine sat on the floor, to much complaint and criticism
    Haha, these actually do go low but as you say, when the volume goes up they can start to sound a bit hard. I haven't noticed and loss of bass since they've been on the stands. Very very nice at normal volume levels though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have lowered the highs and mids but still sounded a bit toppy. Much better with the grills on.

If you've got any other speaker cable to hand give it a whirl as IMO Fisual Hollywood can take your fillings out with bright speakers. Lovely cable when you need a treble lift but it sounds like you have more than enough already.
    Lovely looking speakers by the way.
    We are the love we leave behind.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hudz View Post
    If you've got any other speaker cable to hand give it a whirl as IMO Fisual Hollywood can take your fillings out with bright speakers. Lovely cable when you need a treble lift but it sounds like you have more than enough already.
    Lovely looking speakers by the way.
    Thanks Hudz, it quite funny you said that because I have been looking at different cable due to the reviews.

I'm Martin.

I had to use mine out in free space, had to get some boundary reinforcement somewhere. They are supposed to be bookshelf speakers so want to be close to a wall ideally. Akai claim response down to 20Hz but I don't reckon they stay flat much below 100 Hz and suspect your Pioneers are similar, just the nature of that design. Only really a problem with recordings with proper deep bass effects that are almost missed entirely. I found them perfect for hip-hop, they nail that overdriven 'gangsta-style' mid bass sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Hudz, it quite funny you said that because I have been looking at different cable due to the reviews.

Try 'Talk 3' if you get chance

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Try 'Talk 3' if you get chance
    Thanks Roy, I will have a look.

I'm nigel.

I would remove the mid driver on any Japanese speaker that passed my way and have a looksee.
    I owned a pair of midpriced sansui speakers in the 80s...forget the mod number, they had the classic carved wood grilles....these had strange noises coming from the mids at hige levels.
    upon opening them up I noticed there was no dedicated tunnel for said midrange....just the application of felt strips across the driver basket, in a attempt to lower excessive overpressure from the bass driver.

my solution was to glue in a dedicated damped subenclosue....

by pure chance....and a few nights faffing about I found the erm...perfectly sized item....marvel dried milk tins damped with carpet underlay and a fistful of wadding.

NIGE.

I'm Martin.

Agree. If punting on some kabuki speakers aim for the top of the range stuff. There are a lot of lower models that look similar but are just budget tat.

Not much demand for them in the UK so you are not looking at paying much for the good ones.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

KABUKI ! Mmmm

I'm Martin.

I don't use it disparagingly although some do. I just like the word. I'd take my Akais or your Pioneers over any UK best buy budget box at the same money or more.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast