+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Dedicated mains: separate thread for Blackadder!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Apologies, I'm not taking things personally, but you do go on a bit, essentially stating the same things again and again that we simply disagree on, which only serve to prolong an existing circular argument.

We're not big on circular arguments here or those who insist on always being right, especially when playing the 'science card'

I think it's best that we simply agree to disagree on what constitutes as a 'dedicated mains set up' for a hi-fi system, and where the likelihood of the sonic improvements brought about by the introduction of the linear PSU for my NAS drives originates from.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Apologies, I'm not taking things personally, but you do go on a bit, essentially stating the same things again and again that we simply disagree on, which only serve to prolong an existing circular argument.

We're not big on circular arguments here

Marco.
    Apologies in return.

From my perspective, and we know it is personal experiences which count here rather than rights and wrongs, I feel compelled to "go on a bit" (what I would call be persistent) if I ask a relatively straightforward question and the answer is ambiguous, incomplete, sidesteps the central point or whatever. I hate circular arguments so I try to turn them into spirals where they home in on an answer. We have been around this buoy so many times and I STILL don't understand your mains topology. and the only reason I'm asking is so others can understand what they might or might not expect to hear if they invest in something.

I'm not at the other end of the subjectivist-measurist spectrum from you; I hope for example to take up the offer shortly of a visit to a cable manufacturer near here to hear the differences between various cable in their range and will not be taking any scientific instruments with me or expecting them all to sound the same... I have dedicated mains, a mains cleanser, isolation platforms, and (winces) probably thousands of pounds worth of speaker, interconnect and mains (but not digital!) cables in my relatively modest system.

Somehow you and I got stuck somewhere early in this and have negotiated the buoy manfully since. If I've been painfully persistent, it's because the buoy has remained tantalisingly close but frustratingly out of reach. And no, I'm not a sailor: I know you're supposed to avoid a buoy not head for it, but where's the metaphor in that?

Happy to let this thread wither on the vine; it's taken way too much of my day today and I need to put my energies elsewhere tomorrow.

Sleep well.

Nigel

I'm Dennis.

Well my house is still using a 60s system in which the -ve is connected directly to the earth at the CU by a thick metal bar, and it is still legal.

I have a row of fuses, archaic looking with asbestos backings to the ceramic holders, and it all seems OK.

I have been quoted about £600 to update to RCD form, but need to decide on this issue in discussion before considering future plans.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
    Apologies in return.
    Happily accepted

From my perspective, and we know it is personal experiences which count here rather than rights and wrongs, I feel compelled to "go on a bit" (what I would call be persistent) if I ask a relatively straightforward question and the answer is ambiguous, incomplete, sidesteps the central point or whatever.
    If that was the result of what I wrote, then I assure you it wasn't intentional. I was in fact trying to be the opposite, as folks here who know me would appreciate. I'm honestly not the type to 'sidestep' anything!

I hate circular arguments so I try to turn them into spirals where they home in on an answer. We have been around this buoy so many times and I STILL don't understand your mains topology. and the only reason I'm asking is so others can understand what they might or might not expect to hear if they invest in something.
    Well... Barry's a good friend of mine, and has visited my house and heard/seen my system and mains set-up numerous times, so you can take what he's written on that subject as a given, which you appeared to understand earlier, and therefore can now use to clarify matters.

I'm not at the other end of the subjectivist-measurist spectrum from you; I hope for example to take up the offer shortly of a visit to a cable manufacturer near here to hear the differences between various cable in their range and will not be taking any scientific instruments with me or expecting them all to sound the same... I have dedicated mains, a mains cleanser, isolation platforms, and (winces) probably thousands of pounds worth of speaker, interconnect and mains (but not digital!) cables in my relatively modest system.
    Glad to hear it! Cool

Happy to let this thread wither on the vine; it's taken way too much of my day today and I need to put my energies elsewhere tomorrow.
    As am I, and for similar reasons. The whole issue with the linear NAS PSU thing is not for anything to require proving, but simply to relate experiences that others can use to ascertain whether they wish to try the same thing for themselves or not.

At the end of the day, we can debate the subject until the cows come home, and also the efficacy of what I've done in that respect, for the perusal of others, but the ONLY way you'll ever know for sure if something works or not is to 'suck it and see'!

Nighty night

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Dedicated consumer unit, situated on the wall directly behind my system, inside of which there were 2 x 63A MCBs, and into which the mains leads (big black things in the picture) for my system components were hardwired to, so that there were no sonically degrading plugs, plug fuses (which we have here in the UK) or sockets, in the equation.

Hope that helps, Russell

Marco.
    Thanks! That does describe what I see. Yes here in the states we have breaker boxes, new versions of old fuse panels but with breakers in them, and grounded 2" x 4" boxes recessed in the wall, with receptacles flush, sometime they are surface mounted on brick walls etc. I've always assumed everyone else did too! So thanks for the look, I'm enlightened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678