+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated mains: separate thread for Blackadder!

I'm Josie.

It's too confusing. Think I'll leave it.

Thanks anyways.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 16-04-2017 at 08:40.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Russell.

Making sure you've got ample clean power for your system is an admirable goal. But if one is looking for documented proof that it will make measurable differences, empirical evidence may be hard to find. And even anecdotal evidence seems to be divided down the middle. Some will swear by it! While others didn't notice any real difference.

As long as you've got ample current available to your system, your money may be better spent on power conditioning at the site. Right where your stereo is connected, to invest in a really nice power conditioner, or regenerator, is considered by most to be a very noticeable improvement. I noticed the difference in mine instantly, and wouldn't trade it for the world! I know I've got a perfectly clean 120v sinewave at all times feeding my system. And it sounds more detailed, with tighter bass, and consistent from day to day and day to night. And I also feel some satisfaction knowing it's protected from lightning and external surges or brownouts.

But, if your house is old, and you worry that you may not have the supply you want, or a properly grounded circuit, then by all means run the new circuits to the system. Or do it just for your own piece of mind. If you're spending this money because you expect to turn your system on and hear a wonderful difference, then you may be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

The Flash, and Barry, re these;

"What format would you like to see the results in?

What sort of benefits would you expect to see or need to see?

And why: what is your interest here? Are you thinking of doing the same? "

I am wary, as we all must be of 'foo', and so need both anecdotal, and more importantly, empirical evidence on which to base future changes.

My assertion about the 5A system is based not on measurement, but on a long ago experience when I was an apprentice.

In those days, about '66 '67, we had distribution boards we made as an early project, and they used Duraplug 5A sockets.
    In the hostel we used to have 3kW kettles running through them, and they heated up far less than the 13A I/P lead plugs did.
    My usage is based almost entirely on this experience, and the logistics of producing round pin contact being much better than those of the square pin type.

My approach in audio, is to go through it all periodically, questioning all my assumptions, and revisiting solutions, and I had thought that this aspect had been 'put to bed' by many, and also that RA's mains concern was mainly foo, although there is a lot of money to be made in this area.

With regard to noise, some measurements of noise with/without any change are always welcome, and any improvements in supply source impedance, which I assume would improve dynamics, would also be good to see evidenced.

The expense and upheaval to do much work on the house wiring, ensure for me the need forgood verification that the change will give results; there are some very expensive conditioners available.

Our posts crossed Alpha, and this;

"Making sure you've got ample clean power for your system is an admirable goal. But if one is looking for documented proof that it will make measurable differences, empirical evidence may be hard to find. And even anecdotal evidence seems to be divided down the middle. Some will swear by it! While others didn't notice any real difference. "

is exactly the difficulty.

I'm Russell.

So to simplify my response, hey, if it makes you happy, do it! And don't worry about if it's worth it. Piece of mind is not a bad thing at all. Knowing that it's right, and as good as you can make it, are good things.

I'm James.

Hi Josie,

I contemplated running a separate radial for my system which would be easy to do but would cost £300-£500. It would be easy to do this in my house, however the ring main I use my system on currently has very little electrical stuff on it switching in and out, therefore noise on the ring main especially at night is minimal. A separator radial may or may not actually benefit your system and from what i have read it is debatable if sonic improvements are always quantifiable.

A Balanced power supply however would be more noticeable and worthwhile to incorporate into your system especially as I know you run Croft amps
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jo,

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    It's too confusing. Think I'll leave it.

Thanks anyways.
    It really isn't complicated at all, matey. Give me a bell (when it suits) and, clearly and simply, I'll talk you through *exactly* what to do

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nigel.

Default Dedicated mains: separate thread for Blackadder!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jo,

It really isn't complicated at all, matey. Give me a bell (when it suits) and, clearly and simply, I'll talk you through *exactly* what to do

Marco.
    But you don't have dedicated mains, Marco, which is what The Black Adder enquired about. Unless I'm having a senior moment...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - you obviously don't know me very well, then! I can assure you that the mains for my main system [not the one my NAS is currently connected to] is very much, erm "dedicated"

A pic from 2009, when it was slightly more 'sensible' than it is now [various mains leads hardwired into a dedicated CU, also including a dedicated earth, solely for my hi-fi system]:

Marco [who first got into the whole 'mains optimisation' thing in 1998].
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nigel.

Lol - you obviously don't know me very well, then! I can assure you that the mains for my main system [not the one my NAS is currently connected to] is very much, erm "dedicated"

A pic from 2009, when it was slightly more 'sensible' than it is now [various mains leads hardwired into a dedicated CU, also including a dedicated earth, solely for my hi-fi system]:

Clearly not! I don't think you mentioned your mains topology in any of your earlier posts here; sorry if you did and I missed that, as it negates most of what I have posted persistently and clearly about how your NAS linear PSU might be making an audible difference...

Please confirm how separate your mains supply is from general house supply (where and how they separate) so I/we can understand whether the only possible impact of the linear PSU can be on the data quality of the digital signal it produces. That truly would be a remarkable thing. Thanks.

I'm Russell.

Very nice! I wish I knew what I was looking at. Things here in the States look very different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast