+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Oldham, NW UK

I'm Pete.

Default Hello from Oldham, NW UK

Hi

My name is Pete and I enjoy listening to various types of music including - but not limited to - classical, jazz, blues and most shades of "rock". The only "music" I definitely dislike is anything compressed into mp3 format.

My (better say Our just in case Herself has a read sometime) current system consists of

Turntable: Linn LP12 (late 1980S I think, recent Hercules board fitted) with an Ittok LVII arm and a Kiseki Blue Gold Spot moving coil cartridge originally purchased in 1988, damaged in 1991 and recently retipped with a microridge stylus/boron cantilever by Northwest Analogue http://www.northwestanalogue.com/ - excellent job Dominic

Phonostage: Pro-Ject PhonoBox DS+ - connected to preamp with some home made solid core interconnects; Sorry cannot remember the cable brand/model and there is nothing printed on the cable (if there was it has faded away). My home made solid core interconnects use Linn phono plugs

CD Player: Meridian G08.1 - currently using optical connection to preamp which seems to deliver a cleaner sound than using wire interconnects. Maybe the preamp has a slightly better processor?

Tuner: Teac T-H300DABMkII - half width am/fm/dab tuner (shares a shelf with the PhonoBox DS+) - connected to preamp with some home made solid core interconnects

Preamp: Meridian G61R SL - Yes, I know it is a DSP but it delivers very acceptable stereo, comparable to a Meridian G01 preamp, when used in Direct mode - connected to preamp with some home made solid core interconnects

Amplifier: Meridian G55 - Yes, a 5 channel amp. I (We) run this what herself calls "butch mode" with channels 1&2 bridged to supply 300w Left and channels 4&5 bridged to supply 300w Right; channel 3 is used for the Centre channel when running a DSP surround mode

Stereo speakers: Proac D20R - they love the power available from the G55

Stereo Speaker cables: Audioquest Rocket 44 in double bi-wire configuration

The rest of the "entertainment system" used in DSP modes consists of

Centre speaker: Gale Centre1 connected to channel 3 of the Meridian G55 using Audioquest FT-4 cable

Rear amplification: Pair of Meridian 205 monoblocks

Rear Speakers: Wharfdale Diamond Pro connected to the 205s with Gale speaker cable

TV: Sony Bravia 49" KD-498505B 4k tv using optical connection to preamp

DVD: Sony RDR-DC-100 using HDMI to connect to TV

PVR: Panasonic DMR-HWT230EB using HDMI to connect to TV

I(We) also have a Gale 65w Subwoofer but after the fairly recent upgrades to Meridian G55 amp and Proac D20R speakers it is no longer used as it is just a little too quiet.

What would I(We) like to change in the above?

Well, a more powerful subwoofer, 100 to 150w, would be nice for those deep bass moments in movies
    Updating our old Gale Centre1 and Whardale Diamond Pros have got to be high on the list
    Upgrading the DVD to a Blu-Ray/DVD player

At some point I(We) will also have to ascertain what upgrades the Linn has already had and what it needs - probably the time to do that will be when the cartridge needs replacing as We are currently very happy listening to the LP12/Ittok/Kiseki combination.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Pete. Welcome to AOS.

That's a good, comprehensive intro.

I see you're a bit of a Meridian equipment fan. It's very good.

You'll find a lot going on here, so feel free to join in.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Hi and Welcome aboard Pete

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

Welcome Pete. I was born in Oldham and brought up in Limeside then moved to Middleton but now London for 33 years.

Nice system you have their and jealous of the Kieski cartridge.

I do get up as my family are still up their in Middleton and Chadderton.
    Paul.

I'm Pete.

Hi Paul

I was born in Edgware, now North London but then Middlesex, and moved to Oldham 27 years ago. Before moving we had met loads of Oldhamers in London and had visited Oldham with some of those people several times. Having decided we liked Oldham and the people we had met we decided to sell our 1 bed London flat, clear the mortgage and purchase a 2 bed house in Oldham with the change.

Maybe you would like to drop in and have a listen to the Kiseki when you are in the area - Send me a message/email.

Pete

Might take you up on your invite Pete next time I am up. I suspect it will be June time.

Certainly true property prices are muuccch more reasonable in Oldham.
    Paul.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Pete,

Good introduction.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread