+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not so Newbie

I'm Marcus.

Default Not so Newbie

I have been here for a while now but only just realised I have not even made my first post! So hello.

My musical taste is varied and more so now that I listen to a lot of radio. Possibly because I do not have a remote for my tuner, I find myself listening to (and enjoying) genres that I would normally avoid. My roots though are classic rock, blues and classical.

My Hi-fi activity started in the early seventies with a Garrard SP25 Mk3 plus amp and speakers from a shop in Edgware Road London. This was swiftly followed by my first proper system – a Thorens TD160 turntable into a Cambridge P50 amp feeding a pair of IMF ALS40 speakers.

I soon discovered the IMF speakers required more power than the P50 could deliver so began my journey into upgrading components via the venerable services of Exchange and Mart. I am now reasonably settled with a Transfiguration Axia cartridge, an Audiomods 5 arm on a Garrard 401 turntable, mounted in a slate plinth. CD source is an Esoteric XO3se. Pre is a Project RS with Event Opal active speakers (the only speakers that work well in my listening room).

Though I am more of a reader than a contributor I shall endeavour to change that.

I'm Rob.

Hi Marcus, sounds like history repeating itself. I bought a Garrard SP25 Mk3 and an Eagle amp from a shop in Tottenham Court Road in the 70s. It was not until many years later that I realised how rubbish the TT and Amp were

Where in London are you?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Marcus.

Hi Rob
    Hackney way East London. Maybe rubbish now but I do remember being blown away when I first listened to Led Zep 2 in stereo on it. Happy days.

I'm Rob.

I was from Sarf Lundon.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Marcus. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting and unusual selection of equipment you have. I'd imagine that all sounds rather good together.

As you know, there's plenty going on here, so just join in and chat with the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Marcus,

Sounds like you started your audio journey in a similar manner to me (save my Garrard SP25 was a Mk. II).

Just join in any discussion you like when you feel ready - there's no compulsion.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Gary.

I had an Eagle amp too as a first amp, I think I bought it through Littlewoods catalogue, can't remember what source I had, but only headphones, until I could afford Wharfedale Linton speakers. Later I bought a Pioneer PL 12D.

+ Reply to Thread