+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp to try? balanced

I'm Bruce.

Default Passive preamp to try? balanced

Does anyone have a passive preamp with balanced inputs/outputs that I might borrow to try? Like Khozmo or an alternate?

The toroid on my Classe preamp has failed and it will be 2-3 months before my source could consider replacing it. I know that my Classe amp should handle passives well, so thought I'd have a look at passives, and consider that as a possible permanent option...

But my amp really prefers a balance input and I prefer the RFI rejection of balanced cables, so I'd like to try one with balanced inputs and outputs.

I know Khozmo offers a balanced passive, but haven't seen one from Tisbury. I don't know if anyone has put together a StereoCoffee as balanced. Others?

I'm probably not looking at Tortuga and preamps in that cost bracket.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    ...I know that my Classe amp should handle passives well, so thought I'd have a look at passives...

But my amp really prefers a balance input and I prefer the RFI rejection of balanced cables, so I'd like to try one with balanced inputs and outputs.
    I don't know the exact model your power amp is and Classe seem to have a lot on their website but most seem to have a voltage gain of 29dB. That's a bit on the low side for a passive pre-amp so be prepared to use it with the volume control quite high. The input impedance seems to be 50k (single-ended) or 100k (balanced) which is ok for a passive.

RFI rejection actually isn't particularly good with electronically balanced inputs so I wouldn't be swayed in favour of balanced for that reason.
    Also, I'm not a fan LDR volume controls whether in a passive configuration or an active one.
    I'd suggest that Tisburys are so cheap that it's worth getting one to try out anyway. I'm not really convinced there's much advantage to be gain from a balanced alternative.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I don't know the exact model your power amp is and Classe seem to have a lot on their website but most seem to have a voltage gain of 29dB. That's a bit on the low side for a passive pre-amp so be prepared to use it with the volume control quite high. The input impedance seems to be 50k (single-ended) or 100k (balanced) which is ok for a passive.

RFI rejection actually isn't particularly good with electronically balanced inputs so I wouldn't be swayed in favour of balanced for that reason.
    Also, I'm not a fan LDR volume controls whether in a passive configuration or an active one.

I'd suggest that Tisburys are so cheap that it's worth getting one to try out anyway. I'm not really convinced there's much advantage to be gain from a balanced alternative.
    +1
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Bruce.

My volume put tends to sit around 25% on the dial, and when I bypass the preamp and use the internal volume control from JRMC, 50% volume is plenty. Through various comparisons overs the years, I've found that it sounds better using Balanced in my setup. So I could perhaps test using a single ended preamp, but not sure I'd buy without the balanced option.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Andrew.

I have an Spl Volume 2 you could try. I'ts not completely passive but it does have balanced inputs and outputs. It's fairly minimalist, no remote and only the one set of inputs, but I found it to be very clear sounding. I only changed it for the convenience of more inputs etc. If I'm honest I think, rather frustratingly, the SPL probably sounds better than the one I replaced it with. Have a look at it online.

I'm Bruce.

It's worth a go. Let's chat by PM.
    Bruce

danilo Guest

Even with 50k amp impedance (100k being the ideal), A 10k or 25k Pot (your choice) and connecting in /out wires, will be All the passive circuitry required.
    In the very least.. a 5 minutes to build tester... to base future decisions upon.
    If the result proves lifeless/flat sounding then a Passdiy.com B1 buffer kit ~40$ will correct the issue.. and meet all expectations.
    IMO Balanced.. outside of a Studio/commercial setup is pointless.

I'm Bruce.

My results were not lifeless of flat sounding with my initial test of a stepped attenuator passive, though I'm not sure I found an improvement in any area over my active preamp or my DAC-direct-to Amp. Soundstage had less depth but still good width. The presentation of the details and textures was nice with a slight bit of HF spotlighting, but the mids did not have as much body or solidity to them, slightly thin. The sound did not feel as integrated across the frequency spectrum as my existing alternates. This could be down to the silver wiring, or the impedance of 10k rather than 50k, or the passive with neither buffer circuit nor TVC, not sure. More auditioning of other passives required.

I am curious how someone would describe the effects of a buffer circuit as in the B1 kit above in a bit more detail.
    Bruce

danilo Guest

Read Nelson's own eloquent explanation here ?? (also a pdf download button if you wish to save it)
    https://www.passdiy.com/project/prea...-buffer-preamp

I'm Bruce.

Oh, I hadn't read "Side E" of the article when I was there last. Thank you for pointing me back that article.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast