+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best music-Worst recording?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The original one is the original one. Does it matter who made the choice?
    Probably not. Producers are easy targets, anyway. The New York Dolls blamed Todd Rundgren's production for the lack of commercial success of their first album. They hired the 'legendary' Shadow Morton to produce the follow-up, but unfortunately they'd run out of ideas by then, and their second album was a stinker.

I'm Simon.

Seems to me any digital music based on 60s and 50s music etc, just sounds flat compared to digital recordings based on newer music.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's not to say that this method always produces problems though.
    It does in most cases IME. measurement is the way to go.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Garf.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Magic's posts about Aqualung Selling England prompted me to think, what are the worst recorded albums that you own, that the music is so great you tolerate it?

For instance, I'd say Robin Trower Live. What a great performance! He totally rocks out and performs those extended solos you won't hear anywhere else! But, the overall sound quality is quite poor. A lot of hiss, crowd noise, and poor dynamics. But, every time I pull this one out I am moved! One of the great guitarists of ever.

So what comes to mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought it was just my copy. Agree with you, great music terrible sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    In terms of production the earlier post about Rainbow is well made. "Rising" uses a strange effect on Cozy Powell's cymbals which make it bright and irritating to my ears, the overall sound being cold and hard. The rough mix which was a bootleg for many years and included on the Deluxe Edition is warmer and more listenable as a result.
    Listening to "Down To Earth" today suddenly made me want to clarify my previous point. The cold, hard sound that I was referring to is really just restricted to "Rising" and "Long Live Rock 'N' Roll", which is a shame since I think it makes the magnificent "Stargazer" quite a difficult listen, to my ears at least. My comment didn't apply to the subsequent albums.

Hopefully Roger Glover hasn't crossed me off his Christmas card list

Pete

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by chiily View Post
    I thought it was just my copy. Agree with you, great music terrible sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Not sure I'd agree that Robin Trower's Live is of terrible sound quality. I mean, it's not stellar, but it's kind of adequate. I always enjoy the full bodied experience of a live venue it gives me.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Listening to "Down To Earth" today suddenly made me want to clarify my previous point. The cold, hard sound that I was referring to is really just restricted to "Rising" and "Long Live Rock 'N' Roll", which is a shame since I think it makes the magnificent "Stargazer" quite a difficult listen, to my ears at least. My comment didn't apply to the subsequent albums.

Hopefully Roger Glover hasn't crossed me off his Christmas card list

Pete
    "Straight Between the Eyes", has always been my favorite! A fairly good recording if I recall.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Not sure I'd agree that Robin Trower's Live is of terrible sound quality. I mean, it's not stellar, but it's kind of adequate. I always enjoy the full bodied experience of a live venue it gives me.
    It's not so bad that I don't play it. Maybe I just wish it were better?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    It's not so bad that I don't play it. Maybe I just wish it were better?

Yeah, the amazing playing on there deserves to be heard in the best possible light. But the cymbals sizzle quite nicely, and the guitar is squealing and rumbling menacingly, so I'm happy
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Colin.

I take back my comments regarding "wings over America " - its actually not too bad now I'm using my new Arkless Pre amp. I thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast