+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis "Selling England By The Pound"

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Back in the day just about everyone had ceramic cartridges.
    Some ceramic cartridges actually sound quite decent. Acos and Decca spring to mind. Not the most refined sound maybe, but surprisngly transparent and lots of vitality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

might be some truth in that on the earier ones initially. Too long agao now lol. I know at time they sounded great to me, along with Zeppelin, The Groundhogs, Sabbath and Family that was my staple of the time.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some ceramic cartridges actually sound quite decent. Acos and Decca spring to mind. Not the most refined sound maybe, but surprisngly transparent and lots of vitality.
    Funnily enough, it's the vitality that had me rapt throughout Nursery Cryme just now.
    It had a similar vitality and vivid quality back in '73/'74.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Funnily enough, it's the vitality that had me rapt throughout Nursery Cryme just now.
    It had a similar vitality and vivid quality back in '73/'74.
    Ah. Well if you like that, you'll have to get a Decca London!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

The '94 CD remaster has greater bass presence than the earlier LP, but there's not much in it.

All the Gabriel era Genesis albums sound pretty crappy, to be honest.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that the tape machines were running at 7.5 ips, because as a band they didn't start making profit until the back end of the 1970s, maybe even the early 1980s.
    IMO all the Gabriel Genesis albums sound excellent. Nursery Cryme is the best recording of that era
    Maybe time to update your equipment, so you can hear what really happened back then.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

This page telling of Lebor Gabála Érenn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_...1la_%C3%89renn
    is interesting reading in context of some Genesis Gabriel era songs like Suppers Ready, and Gabriel solo career songs
    In particular the albums Trespass, Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the song Here Comes the Flood, from Peters first solo album.

Such imagination to put these ideas into song is sadly missing today, but thankfully preserved in recordings.
    we can still enjoy. A unique time in music history.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    This page telling of Lebor Gabála Érenn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_...1la_%C3%89renn
    is interesting reading in context of some Genesis Gabriel era songs like Suppers Ready, and Gabriel solo career songs
    In particular the albums Trespass, Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the song Here Comes the Flood, from Peters first solo album.

Such imagination to put these ideas into song is sadly missing today, but thankfully preserved in recordings.
    we can still enjoy. A unique time in music history.
    I would agree with both of your last replies.

I'm Shaun.

Really like the CD reissues of the early Genesis albums which is why I do not have any on vinyl. One thing I was always aware of though is that I always thought that Genesis albums were very toppy and thin. I never was truly happy with any of their albums. I think though that my favourite reissue has to be Trick of the Tail.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Really like the CD reissues of the early Genesis albums which is why I do not have any on vinyl. One thing I was always aware of though is that I always thought that Genesis albums were very toppy and thin. I never was truly happy with any of their albums. I think though that my favourite reissue has to be Trick of the Tail.
    I would lay the blame of you hearing them as toppy and thin squarely on the
    potentiometer you use http://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-three/

" Better not compromise, it won't be easy "

Cheers / Chris

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    I would lay the blame of you hearing them as toppy and thin squarely on the
    potentiometer you use http://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-three/

" Better not compromise, it won't be easy "

Cheers / Chris
    I may be wrong but I'm not sure I owned this amplifier back in 1972 but throughout my entire time with Genesis, their albums have always been thin and weedy. Only now with this powerful, warm sounding EL34 amplifier have they actually started to open up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12