+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis "Selling England By The Pound"

I'm Alex.

Default Genesis "Selling England By The Pound"

Now the exact opposite story from yesterday's "Aqualung" -- bought a Genesis LP in pretty good condition, plays nicely, but the bass is phenomenally deep, bloomy, overwhelming, almost to the point of suffocating!

I have both 1994 and 2007 digital remasters, and the bass on them is not nearly as prominent as on the LP. I'm not saying that I don't like it on the LP -- it's actually gorgeous, super deep, warm as fuck -- but the difference between digital and analogue is stunning, to say the least.

Anyone else shares similar experiences with the Brexit, er... Selling England LP?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Sounds like you need to set your TT up properly.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Sounds like you need to set your TT up properly.
    Hmm, that would be quite a challenge. If among hundreds of LPs that play divinely well I bump into two that are sounding off, does that invalidate all the other gorgeous sounding LPs?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Then there's something wrong with your pressing.
    It all probability the answer is a bit of both.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

Then there's something wrong with your pressing.
    It all probability the answer is a bit of both.
    My TT was set up by a local TT guru (many people know him and recommend him). I'd go with faulty pressing, because almost anything else I listen to sounds too good to be true.

Alex.

The '94 CD remaster has greater bass presence than the earlier LP, but there's not much in it.

All the Gabriel era Genesis albums sound pretty crappy, to be honest.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that the tape machines were running at 7.5 ips, because as a band they didn't start making profit until the back end of the 1970s, maybe even the early 1980s.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

The '94 CD remaster has greater bass presence than the earlier LP, but there's not much in it.

All the Gabriel era Genesis albums sound pretty crappy, to be honest.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that the tape machines were running at 7.5 ips, because as a band they didn't start making profit until the back end of the 1970s, maybe even the early 1980s.
    Very interesting. I find Foxtrot really muddy sounding in any format. Selling England doesn't sound bad on the CD (both the 94 remaster and on the 2007 remix, although the latter tends to sound somewhat bleached).

I do suspect that I have a weird copy of Selling England LP. The bass is amazing, but the piano and drums sound a bit muffled.

Alex.

I'm Steve.

Interesting views chaps. Both of which i find myself at odds with. Selling England By The Pound is my fave Genesis album and i have never experienced the same problems with regards to the bass. If anything i prefer the vinyl version of which i have the original and the later 200g pressings and they sound wonderful. All down to preference methinks. In the past i did notice that bass especially bass pedals used on early Genesis albums sounded wonderful whilst using some cartridges and slightly wayward when using others. I have a sneaky feeling that the copies you guys have could sound a tad better if you put them through a RCM a couple of times. They're getting on a bit you know?

I'm Grant.

Was a big fan of the original band back in day. Cant say I ever noticed but then I probably wasnt too bothered. Certainly sure none were a mile out
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Was a big fan of the original band back in day. Cant say I ever noticed but then I probably wasnt too bothered. Certainly sure none were a mile out
    Back in the day just about everyone had ceramic cartridges.
    Perhaps there lies the gateway to the mystery.

Just played a nice new copy of Nursery Cryme (2007 remix/remaster), and the sound of it took me back 40 or so years .....
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast